Tune-Up Skips Defragment and removing the files RRS feed

• Question

• All the Tune-up did for me was scan for viruses adn check for updates....and it skipped the rest   - to be honast i have never looked @ the tuneup report before but yea it doesnt do anything special =/ i dont backup my files so just ignore that box but here's an image of what it looks like ...

so basicly i want onecare to do this, do you guys want the log or somethign to help you solve this?

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 8:19 PM

Answers

• Yep and if you look at the other 32 other messages here you would find this to be a known Issue. did ya file a bug report the more the merrier they'll step up the fixing this for a future refresh release.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 12:27 AM

All replies

• Yep and if you look at the other 32 other messages here you would find this to be a known Issue. did ya file a bug report the more the merrier they'll step up the fixing this for a future refresh release.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 12:27 AM
  • As Mikro said, this is, unfortunately, a known issue. I am quite sure that they are working to fix this.

-steve

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 12:59 AM
  •  Mikro wrote:

Yep and if you look at the other 32 other messages here you would find this to be a known Issue. did ya file a bug report the more the merrier they'll step up the fixing this for a future refresh release.

never said it was an UNknown issue. just want them to know that EVERY1 here is requesting and talking about it

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 2:13 AM
  • I believe that they addressed some of the Defrag failures, but certainly not all as many are reporting that Defrag and Cleanup are still failing.

-steve

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 5:32 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

I believe that they addressed some of the Defrag failures, but certainly not all as many are reporting that Defrag and Cleanup are still failing.

-steve

There not failing Steve just reporting they are. turning out to be a app time out limit violation issue with the reporting system with in wloc still a little bugger though.  

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 10:19 PM
  • I believe that the Defrag errors are mostly the time-out limit, but I'm not sure of the cleanup situation.

-steve

Thursday, August 23, 2007 12:24 AM
  • For the defrag issue, we are fixing it to give the appropriate time out message. We have identified that timeout is causing this. Is this happening after approximately 15 minutes of defrag start? If so, it is due to time out. Let us know if this is happening sooner.

We also have a fix for the clean up issue that will be in the next beta refresh.

Thanks

Balaji

Thursday, August 23, 2007 4:34 AM
  • Balaji, we don't know when the error occurs as it is reported at the end of Tune-up.

-steve

Thursday, August 23, 2007 4:24 PM
  • I know Tune-up still has problems. But I noticed another one when clicking on the link "What files does tune-up remove" does not take you to the correct Help page. It takes you to : http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2&queryType=keyword&query=punealc_ksid_qaf&sid=9f19b292-1940-4879-bb6c-f6b7dbb0fd25_19798179&mkt=en-US

which is just a general page for tune-up and not the page that list the files types cleaned up by tune-up.
    Thursday, August 23, 2007 5:49 PM
  • Hi, Ernie. I suspect that reason you are at a general page is that the help content for that topic hasn't been written for the 2.0 help site.

-steve

Thursday, August 23, 2007 6:47 PM
  • Thank you for reporting the broken link. I checked and we are aware of this issue and will be fixed in the next beta refresh.

Thanks

Balaji

Thursday, August 23, 2007 6:50 PM
  • for the first time ever I saw that the defragment was comleated =] however i dont know why now. I tunedup before with the refresh and it didnt work.

now would come my new question.

vista already defragments the pc for me every wen. with onecare installed shouldnt it control the vista defragmantaion or something. I dont think i have the need for it to run "out of sync" with onecare [prob the same issue as with vista backup sync with the onecare 1]

Saturday, August 25, 2007 5:12 AM
  • Patrykdj,

Probably this was the first time that the defragmentation was able to complete before the 15 minute timeout on the partition occured. This is one of the non-error conditions that has been causing the false error message to be triggered and is also what Balaji mentioned above will be fixed in the next refresh.

Defragmentation is one of the most mis-understood processes that occurs on the Windows operating system. The confusing part is that it's never really 'done', since as soon as it has 'completed' the system itself is adding to log files and anything you do that adds to the filing system such as read email is messing it up again.

The best method for such a situation would actually be to perform a short defragmentation each day the computer is used, since that would keep the filing system as effectively ordered as possible. The problem with this, however, is that there is inherent overhead in performing the operation, so this would cause the PC to work harder than necessary to keep the average file system reasonably ordered and also potentially interfere with your use of the PC.

OneCare takes this into account and only performs a 15 minute defragmentation on each partition during each tune-up. The idea is that the 'worst' defragmentation will be improved each time and eventually it will catch up and be 'completed'. OneCare also doesn't bother to perfom a full analysis first, it just starts the actual defragmentation process, since actually doing the job makes more sense than checking the current status when there's no one to 'ask' if they want to continue. The fact that Vista is already doing this itself just means it's happening more often, so it should be caught up sooner.

The key thing to understand is that defragmentation is a continuous improvement process, not a static situation where something is really 'completed'. The OneCare development team is currently trying to change the messages in an attempt to reflect that and improve the understanding while still providing information about the current status.

OneCareBear

Saturday, August 25, 2007 8:45 AM