Printing with web style

• I'd like to print my blog posts as they would appear on my blog and as they appear on the preview pane in Live Writer.   Using the style downloaded from th blog website.

This help keep consistensy and makes formating decisions and third party approval much easier.

For my own records, my work flow, my sanity and vanity can you please show me how to do this?
    Monday, March 09, 2009 7:55 PM

All replies

• There is no way to print right now from Windows Live Writer.  Though, if you really need to be able to do this, I can explain a workaround that might help you.
    -Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 5:43 PM
  • Please do, I"m using what I suspect is the beta version,  Build 14.0.8050.1202 en
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:34 PM
  • Actually, I was wrong!

You can print from Windows Live Writer.  Click on File->Print...  was that not working for you?
    -Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:05 AM
  •  Well the problem is that it prints as full page without the webblog style that is clearly being used in the preview and the edit window.

I think it would be a great boon if we could actually print what we see. :)      I would very much like to have a print out with the correct width used on the site, and if possible the frame of the site like the header and side bars.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:45 PM
  • Try switching to the Preview tab first, and then doing File | Print--is that what you want?
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 11:27 PM
  • I don't think the preview tab does all of the content on the blog homepage.  At least in my trial it didn't.  My workaround was going to be to open the html file in the temp directory in Internet Explorer or Firefox and then print from there, but they both have the same behavior you see in Windows Live Writer.  Going to the preview tab and taking a screenshot might be the only way to do this.
    -Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:08 AM
  • This is the reason for me posting here, we can't print with web style, and we should.   The fact that I have to take a screenshot and open it in photoshop, and crop it to print what i'm seeing is ridiculous and a waste of time.   I'm hoping someone with some say into the developement of livewriter see's this or maybe someone can tell me were to send bugs/strong suggestions.
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:56 PM
  • Joe Cheng is the development lead for Windows Live Writer, and I am one of the developers.  This is the best place to come to give feedback or report bugs. 

However, since Windows Live Writer is based on Internet Explorer, all of our print functinality goes through Internet Explorer. For some reason, IE doesn't seem to want to print the webpage as a webpage, it chooses to print just the content.

Sorry, there doesn't seem to be a faster way to accomplish your task.

-Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:34 PM
  • BTW  I Love you guys,  Livewriter is the only way I can actually write blogs now and I like the clean interface, the simple ui and the freedom to write as I see it.  Thank you.

So now its just a case of letting the IE guys know, that this is a feature needed,   I've always wanted to have more control over what I  print from a website, maybe a more robust print preview window that allows you to select which frame to print, with options to not include any backgrounds might be the way to go.   Were would I go about doing that?
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:45 PM

The printing experience in IE8 beta is the same as it is in IE7.

Can you email me at ?

-Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 6:12 PM
  • Hi - I have the same objective, which is to print off several months worth of a daily blog that I created using Live Writer, and uploaded to Windows Live.  If I print from IE8, then the blog appears in reverse order.  As this was a travel diary of a lifetime trip around Australia, I would really like to be able to read in in hard copy in the correct calendar order.

I can print from Live Writer, but this seems to require opening up every entry individually and then printing, which seems fairly time consuming.

I have tried some of the 3rd party tools on the web, but none appear to support WindowsLive blogs. 

Can anyone recommend a way to print off my blog, neatly, in correct calendar order please?
    Tuesday, September 08, 2009 1:27 PM
  • Same problem. Just to be clear I create a blog in live writer. it uses times roman and italicizes block quotes. but to the printer and in preview  it comes out with a basic sans seraph and no italics, and no indents for block quote.

To be able to print the post with formatting as it is created in live writer would be very useful.

Saturday, December 31, 2011 5:24 AM