MSMPENG.EXE and OneCare - Contention with remnant from Norton? RRS feed

• Question

• I have had problems with MSMPENG.EXE taking 100% of my CPU indefinitely.  I am a relatively new (and non-technical) OneCare user.  In reading through the other threads on this, it appears to be a widespread problem with no one solution.  One thread mentioned a problem with Norton Anti-Virus.  I removed all traces of my recent version of Norton I could find via the Add/Remove Programs utility (XP SP 2), but perhaps there is an old process still lurking out there that I need to remove?  Any way I can find an old process, if it exists?

Also, I have had NO help from OneCare on this.  I tried to get to the OneCare Tech Support (with a Qwest Tech Support person helping), but we gave up after 30 minutes - could not get through.  Anyone from OneCare that can tell me how to get specific tech support on this, if needed?

Monday, August 25, 2008 5:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• Although afterwards concievably you may also need to cleanup and reinstall OneCare using the OneCare Cleanup Tool and Control Panel > Add/Remove, removing traces of Symantec's Norton is relativly easy with their Cleaning Tool:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Monday, August 25, 2008 5:35 PM
  • If your OneCare subscription is via Qwest, they provide the support. If they can't solve the problem, it is their responsibility to get your problem escalated.

-steve

Monday, August 25, 2008 7:11 PM
  • Stephen:  Thanks for the comment.  I agree, and my OneCare subscription is with Qwest.  Getting them to take responsibility is a major problem.  Their OneCare tech area was horribly backed up today; I and a general Qwest customer service agent got no response in 30 min of waiting via phone.  Hopefully I can find a way to get them to take this on; so far I am very frustrated with their lack of help.       - Brian

Monday, August 25, 2008 8:12 PM