One care status RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there!
    Would be wonderful if someone could respond to this~
    I installed Windows Live One care this February but due to some problems with my laptop ("blue screened everytime it was switched on") my laptop had to be restored back to factory settings, which meant that I technically didnt use One care service after May (because now my laptop came equipped with a trial version of Norton). I had asked the people before sending in my laptop and they said "that One care will stop automatically and you can renew once you get your laptop back from that very point". So without bothering much I sent it in, and today when I tried to "renew" this service since my Norton expired last month, I realised that this service had been active all this while, and on top of it, I dont know how I can "reinstall" it since its not there in my installed programs. I just cant locate my product id. Pls help!

Thanks!

Product information-
    Windows Live OneCare
    Installed on 22/02/2009 (as displayed on billing page)
    Account Id- 00000-00000-02598-87306
    Pls let me know if any other information is required
    • Moved by Rob KochModerator Saturday, November 7, 2009 8:47 PM Not Off Topic (From:Windows Live OneCare – Off Topic)
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:40 PM

Answers

• I am moving your post to the OneCare General Forum, since it's not 'Off Topic' where you placed it.

Though it is possible to re-install OneCare from the online installation site and add the PC back into your subscription, I'd actually recommend against it, since OneCare is no longer being sold and will only be available through the end of your current subscription anyway.

What Microsoft is now providing instead is a free anti-malware product named Microsoft Security Essentials that is built on the same core as OneCare was, but has been improved in several ways.  This free product doesn't have backup, a firewall, or the Hub/Circle and printer sharing features of OneCare, but it doesn't sound like you used those anyway.

Here's the link to the new product to take a look before you decide, feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Rob
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 8:47 PM

All replies

• I am moving your post to the OneCare General Forum, since it's not 'Off Topic' where you placed it.

Though it is possible to re-install OneCare from the online installation site and add the PC back into your subscription, I'd actually recommend against it, since OneCare is no longer being sold and will only be available through the end of your current subscription anyway.

What Microsoft is now providing instead is a free anti-malware product named Microsoft Security Essentials that is built on the same core as OneCare was, but has been improved in several ways.  This free product doesn't have backup, a firewall, or the Hub/Circle and printer sharing features of OneCare, but it doesn't sound like you used those anyway.

Here's the link to the new product to take a look before you decide, feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Rob
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 8:47 PM
  • HI!

If you still have a subscription with Windows live onecare, you can just go to onecare.live.com, on the left pane, click on get it now-- then click on the Download Windows live onecare free trial.

----- bayabasgirl29
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 10:02 PM