OneCare defragging an MCE drive takes FOREVER RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 500GB second drive in my PC that is used primarily to hold my iTunes music and my recorded TV (I'm running Windows Media Center Edition 2005).  Each recorded TV program is 3GB - 6GB, and while I only have eight programs on there right now, it's taking 12+ hours for the defrag to stop.  It's almost as though OneCare launches the defrag, and then moves on to the other processes in TuneUp, and the defrag keeps going.  You can hear my poor hard drive being beaten to death during this process.

Short of the registry fix to break the connection between OneCare and the defrag EXE, what can I do?  I suppose I could physically disconnect the drive from the mainboard and then run the TuneUp, but that's a lot of work for very little gain.

Sunday, December 2, 2007 4:37 PM

Answers

• Please contact support, as Defrag should not be taking 12 hours. OneCare performs tune-up steps sequentially. It will not start the virus scan until Defrag is complete. In 1.6, Defrag ran for 10 minutes. It is longer in 2.0, but it is not indefinite. So, if it is going for 12 hours, something is wrong.

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2 If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 3:35 AM