Problems with Connector on Win7HP client - everything is fine but Console app can't connect to server RRS feed

• Question

• About a month ago I bought the Win7 Family Pack and upgraded three of my PCs to Win7.  The upgrades went fine, but on one of the PCs, which was upgraded from Vista - I ran the upgrade rather than a new install - I am having continuous problems with Connector.  The WHSTrayApp will be running but when I right click on it and go to run the Console it will bring up the login screen, I will enter my password but I never get to the scrolling horizontal blue bars. 

I get an error message saying "This computer cannot connect to your home server.  Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on.  If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes".  If I try right-clicking on the TrayApp and try to open "Shared Folders" it also errors out.  I get the same error when I attempt to directly run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\WHSConsoleClient.exe by double-clicking it.

But the strange thing is that everything is fine with the server - I can RDP into the server from this client.  I have several shared drives mapped to this client and I am able to use files from the server.  And my overnight backups run fine.

So I tried running Discovery.  It runs fine - I log in and it configures the PC but it doesn't fix the problem.  The only way to fix the problem seems to be to uninstall and reinstall the Connector software on this client.  After three or four times that gets a bit tired, but I guess it isn't really a problem since I almost always have an RDP session into my server open from this client and I can run console via the RDP session.  But isn't Console really just kind of a "dumbed-down" RDP session?  Why would the WHSConsoleClient app not run when RDP will?

Has anyone else seen this?  Any suggestions?

Monday, December 28, 2009 4:32 AM

Answers

• I found the solution (at least for me)

Stupidly easy actually.

The cable company replaced my router the day before I installed Win7, and the new router uses a different IP range than the previous.

Opened internet explorer, uder "tools" - "internet options" - "security" - "trusted sites" - "sites", added the new ip address like this https://10.0.0.135, after a restart of explorer everything works fine.

Hope your solution is as easy as this (althoug it took me 4 hours to figure it out).

RogerT
    Monday, December 28, 2009 1:18 PM

All replies

• Hi wayner

I did the same thing yesterday, upgraded my home computer from Vista to Win7 x64. The upgrade came free with the computer, and I did not have the option formatting the PC to do a full installation.

The computer finds the server OK, I can find all files, and share folders wia mediaplayer etc. I could also find and install the connector software from <myserver>:55000.

When I click "tools" and "home server console", I'm prompted the password. After thinking for about 2 minutes, the connector page is appearing, but without content (only frame with black screen).

Hope there is a solution o this.

RogerT

• Proposed as answer by rtrinte Monday, December 28, 2009 1:12 PM
    Monday, December 28, 2009 10:23 AM
  • I found the solution (at least for me)

Stupidly easy actually.

The cable company replaced my router the day before I installed Win7, and the new router uses a different IP range than the previous.

Opened internet explorer, uder "tools" - "internet options" - "security" - "trusted sites" - "sites", added the new ip address like this https://10.0.0.135, after a restart of explorer everything works fine.

Hope your solution is as easy as this (althoug it took me 4 hours to figure it out).

RogerT
    Monday, December 28, 2009 1:18 PM
  • I don't think that is the problem for me - nothing has changed in my router config but I wouldn't be surprised if it is some sort of network config or firewall issue.
    Monday, December 28, 2009 10:33 PM
  • Bump - anyone else have this same problem?  It appears that Connector problems are quite common these days.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:36 AM
  • No progress yet but I have one other problem on this PC - I can't get it to attach to my Homegroup.  I am wondering if there is a problem with Peer Networking on this PC that is causing both of these problems.  I checked the PNRP services and they are all running and I tried deleting the C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking\idstore.sst file to no avail.
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 4:25 AM