MSMoneyQuotes by Gaier Software (Ameridan posts new info) RRS feed

• General discussion

• Ameridan has a new write-up on MS Money Quotes by Gaier Software
    http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2014/05/08/ms-money-quotes/
     Very useful information there including that this should be run before PocketSense if using both. *hmmm* Thanks.

The actual links there should be http://www.gaiersoftware.com/Money and http://www.gaiersoftware.com/Money/DetailsAndHelp
    (the www are needed, but initially missing on Ameridan's initial posting)

Free 30-time Trial. $9.99 one time for the unlimited uses program

Way cool. This fills in data for the columns that stopped updating when the servers went down, including "last, change, open, high, low, 52 week high, 52 week low, ask, beta, bid, market cap, shares outstanding, PE, volume, and yield." This can be done more than once per day.

I expect some people may use a scheduled Windows task to invoke this program automatically. I expect fun discussions on the various possibilities.

Some wilder thoughts: the command line options offer to let you update a specified file, but it will default to the open Money file by default. We remember that quotes used to be a big factor in the size growth in Money files. So maybe some of us might run two Money files... one with all of the investment info, and one slower-growing. Anyway, it does honor Money's selection of about what quotes get downloaded.

An idea for a future feature would be to trim some old quote data from files -- maybe keep weekly or monthly quote data.

There may be a more authorative posting being written.  This is exciting.

Thursday, May 8, 2014 5:29 PM

All replies

• Thankful that someone stepped up and designed the software for the discontinued money updates. I'll absolutely buy but still one thing that I am disappointed in. It doesn't update mutual funds until very late in the day. Tried to update last night at 10PM and not all mutual funds did.
    Saturday, May 10, 2014 8:34 PM
  • that's MSN, not the program, and since MSN used to provide the quotes to Money directly, it probably was the same slow updating on some of the mutual funds then too.

Cal, you bring up a good point - for those securities that you only need basic quote price data for, you could run Pocketsense first and keep those securities active in the sites.dat file.   Wow, the versatility!

• Edited by ameridan Tuesday, May 13, 2014 9:30 PM
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 9:25 PM
  • I realize quotes are from MSN, but when they were working a yr ago they all updated earlier.
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 11:12 PM
  • Hi guys -

Yes, unfortunately I'm at the mercy of MSN Money quotes.  This is partly why I even hesitated releasing my program to the public, because I knew my program would take the blame for all quote issues originating on MSN. 

As I’ve stated before, I’m not a Microsoft employee.  I can’t directly fix the quote issues.  However, I have passed along every single issue directly to the MSN Money team.  They recently fixed the "unchanged" issue you were seeing with funds.  I have also informed them about how fund NAV prices don't update until many hours after the market closes.

However, the MSN Money team has shifted ownership inside Microsoft.  I’m sure the new team has some work to do to get up to speed on how the site ingest quote data, etc. But hopefully some/all of these issues will eventually be addressed.

But please don’t knock my program for not doing something if it’s a quote issue.  MSMoneyQuotes can only be as good as the data it can legally obtain, which is from MSN Money.

Dan

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 1:45 AM
  • Hi guys -

Yes, unfortunately I'm at the mercy of MSN Money quotes.  This is partly why I even hesitated releasing my program to the public, because I knew my program would take the blame for all quote issues originating on MSN. 

As I’ve stated before, I’m not a Microsoft employee.  I can’t directly fix the quote issues.  However, I have passed along every single issue directly to the MSN Money team.  They recently fixed the "unchanged" issue you were seeing with funds.  I have also informed them about how fund NAV prices don't update until many hours after the market closes.

However, the MSN Money team has shifted ownership inside Microsoft.  I’m sure the new team has some work to do to get up to speed on how the site ingest quote data, etc. But hopefully some/all of these issues will eventually be addressed.

But please don’t knock my program for not doing something if it’s a quote issue.  MSMoneyQuotes can only be as good as the data it can legally obtain, which is from MSN Money.

Dan

Nope not me. I don't blame your program. I know you can't control MSN
    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 4:20 PM
  • Just registered a copy - money well spent.

As others have pointed out, MSN Finance seems to be poorly supported at the moment with quotes on many pages having not been updated since May 2013, and worse there now appears to be no way to contact MSN to let them know of the problems.

I read that the developer is intending to add currency updates some time - hopefully soon.

All I need then is for somebody to write an iOS companion app to make entries on the move and then I can keep using MSMoney indefinitely...

Monday, May 19, 2014 10:56 AM
  • Hi Dan

Another copy registered, happy to pay the $9.99!

Same as poster above, exchange rate updates would be good, an iOS app would be even better!

My actual money file is stored in a folder on Dropbox, to allow me to update it from different computers I use, presumably an IOS app could be made to update/ use that file?

• Edited by Dobtastic Thursday, May 22, 2014 9:22 AM
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 8:50 AM
  • My biggest concern is that Microsoft appear to be no longer supporting MSN Finance as the pages where Dan's app gets its information are no longer being maintained. I've just had another three of my funds that have stopped updating because the information on MSN Finance is no longer updating. The Morningstar pages are updating, so it is presumably a fault in the way in which MSN get the data from Morningstar. Unfortunately MSN no longer appear to read anything sent to them via the feedback links on their pages.

It would be good if this app could get its information from other more reliable sources that are still being actively supported such as yahoo or Morningstar.

Friday, May 23, 2014 9:01 AM
  • I agree. I bought the program, but now I am regretting it. The stocks are nice to see automatically updated in your portfolio throughout the day, but no update in mutual funds until after 10PM eastern is disappointing. I don't want to wait until the day after to see how the days market affected my portfolio.

Yahoo quotes are final by 6:30 eastern every day

Friday, May 23, 2014 10:38 PM
  • Hi Dan

Another copy registered, happy to pay the $9.99!

Same as poster above, exchange rate updates would be good, an iOS app would be even better!

My actual money file is stored in a folder on Dropbox, to allow me to update it from different computers I use, presumably an IOS app could be made to update/ use that file?

I have just downloaded the trial on my laptop and at first glance it seems to work fine. How do I set update frequency or is this set within money?.  I am a UK user and it is great not to have to manually update prices and I can live with slower fund updates

Monday, June 2, 2014 4:11 PM
  • I'm a UK user running the program and it updates my shares OK but none of my mutual funds.

I'm using the same 6 character fund symbols as I did when MS Money allowed online price updates.

Is it because the data is unavailable?

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 6:17 PM
  • I'm a UK user running the program and it updates my shares OK but none of my mutual funds.

I'm using the same 6 character fund symbols as I did when MS Money allowed online price updates.

Try adding the seventh character of the ISIN.

Look up your fund on MSN pages - if the fund is listed and updating there, then it will update in Money with Dan's app.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 6:38 PM
  • No luck with a 7th character I'm afraid.

Using uk.moneycentral.msn.com quotes facility, I can locate shares OK but no mutual funds.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 7:19 PM
  • I also hold UK mutual funds and can find most of them on uk.moneycentral.msn.com but I am using 12 character codes (inc. the initial GB) For example Fidelity Special Situations has the code GB0003875100.  If I leave out the GB or any of the leading zeros it doesn't work.
    Saturday, June 7, 2014 9:44 AM
  • See my latest post on Ameridan's blog.

http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2014/05/08/ms-money-quotes/comment-page-1/#comment-4996

I'm considering the idea of adding an option to MSMoneyQuotes that would allow users to import a csv file that was downloaded from ft.com.  Essentially this would mean ft.com could be a quote source for MSMoneyQuotes.  The downside is the user would still have to setup an ft.com account and manually download the file, the run MSMoneyQuotes to import the quote data.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 6:14 PM
  • Clacksman,

Thanks for the info.

I've updated all my codes to 12 characters and now 75% of funds work OK.

The other 25% of funds are flagged as found but with "Invalid Quotes Data" whatever that actually means.

• Edited by Grissey Wednesday, June 11, 2014 5:33 PM
    Wednesday, June 11, 2014 5:31 PM
  • I'm considering the idea of adding an option to MSMoneyQuotes that would allow users to import a csv file that was downloaded from ft.com.  Essentially this would mean ft.com could be a quote source for MSMoneyQuotes.  The downside is the user would still have to setup an ft.com account and manually download the file, the run MSMoneyQuotes to import the quote data.

If this was implemented, would you be willing to publish the fields required in the CSV ?

I only ask because I currently pull prices from another source and format them in excel ready for manual input.

It would easy to change this process to create a subsequent CSV for input into MSMoneyQuotes but I would,

of course, need all the required fields.

Thursday, June 12, 2014 7:34 AM
  • 1. These symbols work at MSN Money but often don't come in to MSMoneyQuotes OK: US:EEP,US:PBT,US:VMW,US:AVGO You might add those to your test file.
    http://investing.money.msn.com/investments/multi-tickers-details?symbol=US%3aEEP,US%3aPBT,US%3aVMW,US%3aAVGO  

2. I invoke  MSMoneyQuotes with a batch file. It would be nice to have a software switch to not have MSMoneyQuotes wait for an Enter key.

3. I really like the -f switch. It lets my batch file update the big Money file rather than the one that may be currently open.

4. In my batch file for MSMoneyQuotes, I use the -v (verbose) switch and pipe the screen output through grep (could use find) with the -v switch to not show lines that contain "OK".

AshleyST, I am confident that Dan would either provide a way for you to specify the format of your CSV, or would tell you the format that is required.

Grissey, I suspect that at least one cause of "Invalid Quotes Data" would be a zero price.

Thursday, June 12, 2014 2:25 PM
  • Another question for Dan (sorry),

How fussy is the mechanism to the type of symbol code used to describe the fund.

I know that traditionally we had to use ISIN codes but if you implemented a CSV

input method would SEDOL codes work ?

I'm hoping that as long as you had matching SEDOL codes specified in the CSV and

the symbol field in the fund definition within Money, it should be able to find the entry

to update the price.

The reason I ask (rather obviously) is my current data extraction routine uses SEDOL

codes to identify all my funds. Furthermore, if we could use other symbol codes then

here in the UK, I could also update pension fund prices.

Thanks.

Friday, June 13, 2014 7:59 AM
  • Cal and AshleyST -

Cal, I may have missed it but I don't see you as a registered customer on my site (unless you used a different name...).  If the symbols are working on MSN, then something fishy is going on with your Money file.  I'd rather handle one-off issues like this individually using my support email address: support@gaiersoftware.com.  Email me there with further detail including the output from the -v option, how often this happens, is it consistent, etc.

The "press any key" is required only when the -v option is used, or if an error occurred.  In both cases, the "press any key" is there to avoid the DOS window from exiting so the user can see the output (in the scenario where my program is run via a shortcut).  But I understand this may not be desirable if my program is run via a batch file as part of some unattended process.  I can certainly look into adding another option to suppress this in all scenarios.  I avoided this initially because I didn't know if users would use batch files, and also I didn't want to complicate usage with a ton of options/switches.  But I think it would be a nice feature.

In terms of the "CSV quote import" feature, it's currently in the design phase only.  Nothing is implemented, so we can design as we see fit!  I would like to design this feature to be generic in the sense that it could be used to import quotes from any source, not just FT.com.  I may come up with a predefined CSV file format (i.e. a defined set of columns in a particular order, numbers have to be formatted a certain way, etc) that FT.com users can easily generate.  But if you have quotes from a different source, then as long as you can create a CSV file in the defined format, then the import should work for you too.

Also, I'll likely avoid doing any "symbol translation" between the CSV file and your money file.  So if the symbol in your CSV file is "GB00B19FLZ44:GBX", then the symbol in your Money file should be the same.  This will enable the scenarios AshleyST mentions.

My main goal is to build the feature so FT.com users can generate the file without needing to make further modifications by hand before importing to MSMoneyQuotes.  Importing from other sources is a secondary goal.

AshleyST, contact me via my support email and I'll be sure to have you help test this feature as I implement it.

Dan

Friday, June 13, 2014 4:59 PM
  • Dan's software is all I use and everything updates perfectly apart from 5 fundst Morningstar e-mail me daily with an update to my Portfolio (free) and I use this to manually enter prices that are missing. Sometimes playing around with the ISIN gets it right. I have a NYSE fund which I can't get to update but the small amount of time I have to spend on manual updates is more than compensated by the time Dan's program saves me overall. I used to update twice a week and now I can update as often as I want and if the markets busy I can track it perfectly. I am unsure as to why I would need a csv file to update. Anyway thanks Dan.

Saturday, June 14, 2014 8:31 AM
  • A quick note for Cal.  Cal, I've been unable to reply to the email you sent me.  I keep getting the following error:

Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554 delivery error: dd This user doesn't have a yahoo.com account [-101] - mta1153.mail.ne1.yahoo.com

I've tried from both my support@gaiersoftware.com account and also multiple personal email accounts.  Can you send me an email using a different email address.

Sorry everyone, I had no other way to contact Cal outside of this forum!

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:47 AM
  • Dan, any news if/when you might be able to release a version that also updates the currency tables?
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:41 AM
  • Dan, any news if/when you might be able to release a version that also updates the currency tables?

No, this feature is still just a bullet point on my enhancements list.  Given this is a nights and weekends project, trying to complete 140+ hours of work to implement this feature will take months. Right now, most of my time on this project has been ate up with customer support questions/issues, and also trying to implement smaller features that give more bang for the buck.

Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:45 PM
  • Hi Dan, I can imagine you are very busy with saving Money irreductibles' lives. This currency updating would surely save thousands of people from a daily nightmare. Do you have an idea now on when that could go live?
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 9:07 AM
  • I have release MSMoneyQuotes.exe version 1.2 that supports importing quotes from a CSV file downloaded from FT.com, or any CSV file for that matter provided it conforms to the expected format.

Details here: http://gaiersoftware.com/Money/FTQuotes

Note: Currency exchange updates is still on my enhancements list, but I haven't started. 

Dan

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 2:54 AM
  • Dan

I stopped using your trial version as it downloaded rubbish alongside good data, usually £48.85, when no data or strange data is available for a security with a recognisable code. I spent too much time deleting that data. As a UK user with funds and stocks, I will try the new FT system but wonder if it provides any advantages over the hleofxquotes system which seems to work on the same principle. To change to your system one would have to change all the codes to gain only the daily price changes, unless I have misunderstood.

Richard

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 2:23 PM
  • wonder if [MSMoneyQuotes] provides any advantages over the hleofxquotes system which seems to work on the same principle. To change to your system one would have to change all the codes to gain only the daily price changes, unless I have misunderstood.

Does hleOFXquotes provide the ability to update the quote price during trading hours more than once during a day? MSMoneyQuotes can do that, at least when it uses its default server. I have not tried that with a CSV file however. It can also  update a closed file if the command specifies the file name (which can be part of a batch file), or enter the quotes to the open file.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 4:39 PM
  • Yes you can use MSMoneyQuotes several times a day using the FT CSV file provided you download the CSV afresh every time. However, although FT gives stock updates throughout the day, many funds only update once a day, some of them as late as 22:30.

I am using the CSV option now as it saves me manually updating some funds that MSN Money doesn't list.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 11:12 PM
  • Do you use a batch file with your favorite options to invoke  MSMoneyQuotes? That can save some typing.
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 2:57 PM
  • I use a shortcut to MSMoneyQuotes.exe, but download the csv file manually. I am not sufficiently clued up to construct a batch file to automate the whole thing.

Thursday, December 11, 2014 4:21 PM
  • Along with the MSN Money team shutting down the Portfolio Manager (which I personally coded/developed many years back), they are also shutting down the quote service my MSMoneyQuotes.exe program uses.

The FT.com import will continue to work, but online quotes will stop working as of Dec 22nd.  I am actively working on switching to an alternative quote service.

I've put an update out on my website: http://gaiersoftware.com/Money/DetailsAndHelp

Friday, December 19, 2014 4:07 PM
  • Hi Dan Really hope you get the alternative quote sorted! Have read your update on your website and as a subscriber, I'll be happy to test out anything!
    Friday, December 19, 2014 9:28 PM
  • I've been informed the new date for MSN Money to shutdown the quote service used by MSMoneyQuotes is Jan 5th.

The good news is I have MSMoneyQuotes fully switched over to a new quote service and I'm currently beta testing with a number of my existing users.  So far so good.  If all continues to go well, I should have the new version of MSMoneyQuotes available for everyone in the next week or so.

Dan

• Edited by Dan Gaier Wednesday, December 31, 2014 4:42 PM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 4:41 PM
  • I've been informed the new date for MSN Money to shutdown the quote service used by MSMoneyQuotes is Jan 5th.

The good news is I have MSMoneyQuotes fully switched over to a new quote service and I'm currently beta testing with a number of my existing users.  So far so good.  If all continues to go well, I should have the new version of MSMoneyQuotes available for everyone in the next week or so.

Dan

If you are looking for more testers.......
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 4:50 PM
  • I have released MSMoneyQuotes version 2.0.

This version switches to an entirely new online quote service.  The new quote service was built for the new MSN.com and MSN Money websites, and is also used by the Windows 8 Finance app.  The new online quote service is more reliable, has better symbol coverage, and should be here to stay for a long time.  It is backed by a Morningstar quote feed.

As part of the above online quotes re-work, I have begun the effort to include currency exchange rates as part of the online quote update.  Look for that soon in version 2.1. 

See my website for further details: http://gaiersoftware.com/Money

Saturday, January 3, 2015 6:38 PM
  • Dan,

Version 2.0 now downloads some prices that V1.0 could not - but it has also stopped downloading some prices that v1.0 could!

I have checked Morningstar, and the funds that v2.0 cannot download are listed on Morningstar UK. Perhaps v2.0 can only currently access the US Morningstar site?

Here are symbols of the funds that v2.0 is missing (but which v1.0 could download).

IE0032571592

CH0002791702

LU0164872284

LU0115143165

Sunday, January 4, 2015 2:05 AM
  • Tested it on my small portfolio and all appears to work perfectly, looking forward to the update for currency download!
    Sunday, January 4, 2015 9:44 AM
  • Here are symbols of the funds that v2.0 is missing (but which v1.0 could download).

IE0032571592

CH0002791702

LU0164872284

LU0115143165

Make sure you have the proper "Country" selected for each security in your Money file.  For example, IE0032571592 should be Ireland.  That should fix that one.

As for the others, I guess its possible the new quote feed doesn't support these.  I recommend reporting these to the MSN/MSN Money team.

Sunday, January 4, 2015 11:38 PM

• Make sure you have the proper "Country" selected for each security in your Money file.  For example, IE0032571592 should be Ireland.  That should fix that one.

I tried changing the "country" from GB to Ireland - and the program does now download the quote but labels it as Euros (currency of Ireland) instead of Sterling (the correct currency of the quote).
    Monday, January 5, 2015 12:36 PM
  • Please contact me via my support email to figure out next steps for this issue: support@gaiersoftware.com

MSN Money/Morningstar has the security's country as Ireland, so currently my program needs to have the Country set to the same in Money in order to "resolve" the symbol.  But the security's currency is GDP, while the Country's default currency is EUR.  So this is causing problems since my program is not expecting the currencies to be different.  Not being from the UK, I'm not sure I understand why/how all this should work.

Dan

Monday, January 5, 2015 9:26 PM
  • More details on the issue, and I ask you to weigh in on the correct solution:

My symbol resolver (the first step in the new 2 step process) looks up the symbol from Money and gets up to 10 matches back.  Then my program needs to look through those 10 results to find the right one.  To make sure it gets the right one, it expects the security’s Country Code and Symbol (or ISIN) to match in what you have in Money.

So the problem is, it seems users have Irish funds setup in Money as having a country of “Great Britain” (or United Kingdom, depending on which version of Money you have).  So my symbol resolver doesn’t think the symbol is a match since the quote feed has the country as “Ireland”.

Initially I instructed users to simply change the security’s Country in Money to Ireland.  Then my program will match the symbol.

However, that causes the security’s currency in Money to be Euro (as called out above).  And some/all? of the Irish quotes are in GBP.  So this causes an issue because now the quote values in Pounds are saved in Money as if they are Euro.

Here are two options.  I don’t know which is right since I’m not from the UK.

Option #1 – Keep the Country as GB in Money

This means I’d have to adjust my symbol resolver to essentially treat the IE and GB country code the same.  That way, when resolving a symbol such as GB:IE0032571592 in Money, my program will match that to the Irish fund even though it has a GB country code and the quote data has an IE country code.

The user will continue to see the quote values in GBP in Money.

Option #2 – Require user to change the Country to IE in Money

Keep the symbol resolver the same, which means the user will have to change the Country to IE in order for it to match.

To deal with the fact that the quotes are coming in GDP and Money has the security and quote values in Euro, I’d have to apply a currency exchange rate to the quote values to covert to Euro before saving in Money.

The user will continue to see the quote values in Euro in Money.

Which is the best approach?

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 4:21 PM
  • Have loaded up new MSMoneyquotes and run it and as far as I can see it works great in uk. Thanks to Dan

Monday, January 12, 2015 10:58 AM
  • Option #1 Doesn't work either as prefixing GB: or just GB (in money prefixing GB: IE00B28YJP (Polar Capital) reverts back to IE00B28YJP and GBIE00B28YJP doesn't update. It's not the end of the world as I have only 3 or 4 not updating out of about 50 so I am well pleased. Option #2 worries me a little. Will it mean all my quotes end up as Euros? which of course I don't want.

Monday, January 12, 2015 3:52 PM
  • Yes, version 2.0 doesn't have Option #1 or #2 implemented.  So I would not expect it to work yet!

The plan was to get feedback on which approach is best and implement that in version 2.1.  I've picked Option #1, and have implemented that fix in version 2.1.

Look for version 2.1 to be released very soon.

Dan

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 1:07 AM
  • MSMoneyQuotes version 2.1 has been released.  It includes the ability to fetch/update online currency exchange rates and the change to implement Option #1 above.

Currency exchange rates have been the #1 requested feature since I released the original version, so I'm happy to finally announce the completion of this work!

Dan

Friday, January 16, 2015 1:40 AM
  • I just started using V 2.1. My MS Money now works as well as it did before Microsoft abandoned it.

Thanks, Dan

Mike
    • Edited by Riptide99 Friday, January 16, 2015 6:02 AM
    Friday, January 16, 2015 6:01 AM
  • Have just run version 2.0 in the UK and ALL my 39 funds and 6 six stocks prices updated correctly.

On the old system some fund providers did not update at all.

Great job!

Thank, Dan

Graham

Friday, January 16, 2015 8:57 PM
  • It works as well if not better than the old Money file with Dan's fixes. I still can't update 4 shares or funds from my Portfolio but two are Irish starting IE rather than GB and one is NYSE.VZ which is understandable. It isn't a problem  as I update them manually. How do I get regular updates automatically, say twice a day, for the rest? Again if this can't be done easily I am more than happy with things as they are with first class updates when I want them. Thanks Dan

Bryan

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 11:01 AM
  • It works as well if not better than the old Money file with Dan's fixes. I still can't update 4 shares or funds from my Portfolio but two are Irish starting IE rather than GB and one is NYSE.VZ which is understandable. It isn't a problem  as I update them manually. How do I get regular updates automatically, say twice a day, for the rest? Again if this can't be done easily I am more than happy with things as they are with first class updates when I want them. Thanks Dan

Bryan

Step 1 is to make a batch file. I put my batch files into a folder called "C:\bat\" which I put into my execution search path. For this purpose, that file could be anywhere, as long as you specify the full path with the file.

Suppose I make a file in c:\bat\ called mq.bat that contains this:

c:\apps\MSMoneyQuotes\MSMoneyQuotes.exe -f C:\Users\U\Documents\mn\mymoney2015.mny

When I type c:\bat\mq  (the .bat part is optional) then MoneyQuotes gets run and the results placed in the specified file regardless of whether the file was the last Money file that was open, and it will work even if a different Money file is open. Use a simple text editor, such as Notepad, and not a word processor  to create or modify a batch file. In a batch file, any line that starts with rem is a remark/comment. Batch files can get fancy, but fancy is not needed for this purpose. You can type  either in a command window, or in what used to be called the Run box (but is called a  after you click Start (which may only be an icon on your theme). Press the Enter key to do it. There are way to capture any outputs to a file when the batch file runs. We could discuss that further if there is a desire for that.

Once that batch file is working, you can use the Windows task scheduler to schedule the task to occur when you like. I was just looking through task scheduler to find my scheduled task, and I could not find it. Record where in the hierarchy that you put your task. There are a lot of pages that describe how to schedule a task. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748993.aspx is more canonical than most. http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-open-windows-task-scheduler.html http://www.7tutorials.com/first-steps-working-task-scheduler  are some other pages that could help. I start the task scheduler in W7 by just clicking start and entering sched in the box. By that time, there are various choices that appear above, and one is called Task Scheduler. I click that.

For twice per day, I would create two separate scheduled daily tasks.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 2:17 PM
  • Hello,
    MSMoneyquotes version 2.1 doesn't update some of my mutual fund. MSMoneyquotes version 1.0 was wonderful has it managed to update all my stocks, indexes and mutual fund while in the past Microsoft money could not update my mutual fund. I use MSmoney since 1999. (However I did not know that currency rates were not being updated with V1.0.)

Yesterday I have fixed many problems by assigning the correct country: eg: Luxemburg for LU0179866438. so it became LU:LU0179866438. and it works!

However for some reason it does not work for Belgium. If I try to change manually BE0948473070 into BE:BE0948473070, it returns automatically into BE0948473070

Here is the list of my funds that are not being updated (they are however available on morningstar.be) :

BE0948473070

BE0152676954

BE0171768782

BE0948472064

BE0948470043

BE0162031414

LU0607514717

IE00B4ZTP716

Thanks to Dan for a great software.

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 9:54 AM
  • http://www.gaiersoftware.com/Money/DetailsAndHelp says "If a symbol doesn't "work" on MSN Money, then it won't work in my program." and "Others can by found via links on the MSN Worldwide page". I tried http://www.msn.com/nl-be/financien and http://www.msn.com/fr-fr but I was unable to find a symbol for MSN Money.

Note that you might find getting the CSV from Financial Times occasionally may be worthwhile, while not nearly so convenient as if the symbol is available via MSN Money.

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 4:47 PM
  • MSMoneyQuotes version 2.1 has been released.  It includes the ability to fetch/update online currency exchange rates and the change to implement Option #1 above.

Currency exchange rates have been the #1 requested feature since I released the original version, so I'm happy to finally announce the completion of this work!

Dan

Hello Dan,

I am using v2.1 now, and agree with your choice of implementing Option 1. However, with the funds in my portfolio, this still does not work. If I set the country/region to the correct currency for the funds as you suggest, the app does not download the prices. If I set the country/region to the same country/region as the first two letters of the ISIN code, then the app does correctly download the prices - but in the currency of the first two letters of the ISIN code.

Friday, February 27, 2015 12:54 PM
  • Mr Gaier has issued MSMONEYQUOTES V2.2 and I have solved all my problems. All my fund are updated by MSMONEYQUOTES. "If a symbol doesn't "work" on MSN Money, then it won't work in my program."  is not true anymore.

In fact some of my fund can not be found on MSN money but they can be found on the Morningstar website. 

Example: KBC Fivest EUROLAND (ISIN: BE0171768782) can not be found while searching the MSN Money website. On morningstar : http://www.morningstar.be/be/funds/snapshot/snapshot.aspx?id=F0GBR04NLW

So in the "SymbolMap.csv" file created by the new –m manual symbol mapping option, I have added the line: BE0171768782,F0GBR04NLW

and it work! and faster than before.

(maybe I could have typed directly F0GBR04NLW in "investment detail" "symbol" in Microsoft Money but I have not tried that)

Thank again Mr Gaier.

• Edited by BrunoML Wednesday, June 17, 2015 10:10 AM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2015 9:58 AM
  • I can confirm that after a few finger problems, it works great!! And as Bruno writes, it will find ANY symbol that is on any Morningstar site, even if it is not listed on MSN Money! I have one Swiss fund that is only listed on morningstar.ch - definitely not on any MSN Money sites - but Dan's software can update it!!

• Edited by Oh I dunno Thursday, June 18, 2015 1:17 AM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2015 8:43 PM
  • I've been asked this question a lot.  Yes, MSMoneyQuotes runs fine on Windows 10.  You should be able to use it to update quotes in your Money file after moving to Windows 10.

http://www.gaiersoftware.com/Money

Dan

Thursday, August 13, 2015 1:44 PM
  • MSMoneyQuotes is still working great.
    Monday, November 6, 2017 4:32 AM

So am I - UK user. Look under -m option in:

http://gaiersoftware.com/Money/DetailsAndHelp

Use Symbolmap.csv file.

I have not had a single issue with UK / Overseas funds. This program is the "best thing since slice bread" - since the demise of Microsoft Money of course!

Thursday, December 7, 2017 12:15 PM
  • I have noticed that, for a number of my UK stocks, the price Quotes picks up is 100 times what it should be (pence presented as pounds).  This appears to be because MSN shows the currency as GBP instead of GBX.  I have reported this on the MSN site (feedback/report a problem/I see an error in the content).  Will be interesting to see what happens. 
    Saturday, January 13, 2018 5:07 PM
  • I have observed exactly the same on one of my UK Stocks - RTN the restaurant group. It’s only been happening in the last course or of weeks and it often is only the closing price, as if I run MSNMoneyquotes during market open hours the price updates correctly. Interested to know if they give you a response, as currently I’m having to do a manual price update for that stick each day.
    Saturday, January 13, 2018 5:17 PM
  • I have noticed that, for a number of my UK stocks, the price Quotes picks up is 100 times what it should be (pence presented as pounds).  This appears to be because MSN shows the currency as GBP instead of GBX.  I have reported this on the MSN site (feedback/report a problem/I see an error in the content).  Will be interesting to see what happens. 
    I have noticed the same issue since January 2018 for GSK, BLT, and RIO on LSE. I reported also this issue on MSN (feedback/report a problem/I see an error in the content). Hope this help to cure this issue.

Papilou

• Edited by Papilou Thursday, January 25, 2018 1:35 PM
    Thursday, January 25, 2018 1:19 PM