none
How to implement Blog in asp.net RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    I am in small confusion that, my client want Blog in the current site we are developing.
    Blog includes lot of features, it needs separate database, Search, Categories, Filtering, Comment etccccc.
    For it to develop, will took very long time.
    What i need to do? For me only two ways, i can found.
    1. custom development whole Blog in Asp.net and c#.
    2. Using any third party tools.

Please one help me out.

thanks
    -Praveen.

.net developer
    • Moved by nobugz Wednesday, July 2, 2008 11:30 AM asp.net question
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 11:52 PM

Answers

• Your question would probably be more appropriate for the asp.net forums: http://forums.asp.net

If your client is fine with option #2 I would suggest that option. As you mentioned there are many things that go into making a blog if having all the common features is expected, including RSS implementation. Why reinvent the wheel? Unless that is their end product desire, but it sounds like it's part of a larger site.

Off the top of my head I would suggest looking into these open source ASP.NET blogs (in no particular order):
    You'll probably find more via a web-search or looking on CodePlex.

I also suggest that your team and the client research the different options before blindly choosing one. Things to consider would be extensibility in terms of making your own changes as well as third party plugins, ease of import/export of all posts/comments etc. if down the road they need to move to another platform, development team's involvement (is the platform supported well by its developers and possible community, are updates frequent, is support easy to find, etc.), data storage (database, xml).

Other options to consider would be paid platforms, such as Wordpress or any other blog platform out there. Wordpress is not ASP.NET though, it's PHP, and the paid version (last I checked) didn't allow for ads to be displayed. Is that a concern to your client? Wordpress also offers an open source version but some features are lacking compared to their hosted version (spam filtering for one), but then you could use ads. Again, I'm going off topic a little since it's PHP and not ASP.NET.

Finally, definitely read license agreements of open source projects to make sure it's allowed for commercial use... most probably allow it but copyright info shouldn't be removed etc.

Hope that helps. Definitely take the time to research the platforms before making the decision. Ask your client to get involved in that decision, or at least ask them for example sites that they liked so you know which features they want to have.

Document my code? Why do you think it's called "code"?
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 1:36 AM

All replies

• Your question would probably be more appropriate for the asp.net forums: http://forums.asp.net

If your client is fine with option #2 I would suggest that option. As you mentioned there are many things that go into making a blog if having all the common features is expected, including RSS implementation. Why reinvent the wheel? Unless that is their end product desire, but it sounds like it's part of a larger site.

Off the top of my head I would suggest looking into these open source ASP.NET blogs (in no particular order):
    You'll probably find more via a web-search or looking on CodePlex.

I also suggest that your team and the client research the different options before blindly choosing one. Things to consider would be extensibility in terms of making your own changes as well as third party plugins, ease of import/export of all posts/comments etc. if down the road they need to move to another platform, development team's involvement (is the platform supported well by its developers and possible community, are updates frequent, is support easy to find, etc.), data storage (database, xml).

Other options to consider would be paid platforms, such as Wordpress or any other blog platform out there. Wordpress is not ASP.NET though, it's PHP, and the paid version (last I checked) didn't allow for ads to be displayed. Is that a concern to your client? Wordpress also offers an open source version but some features are lacking compared to their hosted version (spam filtering for one), but then you could use ads. Again, I'm going off topic a little since it's PHP and not ASP.NET.

Finally, definitely read license agreements of open source projects to make sure it's allowed for commercial use... most probably allow it but copyright info shouldn't be removed etc.

Hope that helps. Definitely take the time to research the platforms before making the decision. Ask your client to get involved in that decision, or at least ask them for example sites that they liked so you know which features they want to have.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 1:36 AM
  • hi Ahmad,
    yes, that post was helpful.
    any way, thanks for the quick reply.
    Actually, i want to use community server to my requirement, because, most probably client needs forums to implement. So this is better i think , is n't it?

thanks
    -Praveen.

.net developer
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 10:58 PM
  • Praveen,

CommunityServer is another popular choice and since it offers more desired features that are readily integrated then it's an attractive option.

However, as you may know, there are limitations based on which license you go with. You can compare it all here: http://communityserver.com/get-it-now/

Good luck!

Friday, July 4, 2008 1:45 AM
  • Hi Ahmad,
    i am finally stopped researching all these things. i want to develop custom blog site.
    Reasons are:
    I thought community server is good to my requirement. But the thing is, i want customized search feature. In CS, only  one text box and a button available.
    And i want categories when adding a blog post. For each blog posts, we can choose all categories, blog is belongs to.
    In search side, i will give all these categories and then ability to search. But this is not possible with their architecture.
    Any way great help from your side.

thanks a lot.
    -Praveen.

.net developer
    Saturday, July 5, 2008 12:55 AM