Can I prevent Xbox 360 from accessing some WHS shares RRS feed

• Question

• I have a bit of a strange problem.....

I wish to prevent a 360 having access to the some of the network shares on my WHS while allowing another one complete access.

On my home network I have my WHS (version 1) with ALL my media on it, a basic tower running XP MCE (in our bedroom)and a 360 in the sitting room (as well as a few laptops dotted around). We use the 360 both to play movies and music from the WHS and to play games.

Now the problem, we are going to get our 9yr old son his own 360 for Christmas and allow him restricted access to xbox live but I need to deny him access to some of the media on the WHS(age restricted films etc) while allowing him to access the kids movies but I still want to allow the 360 in the sitting room FULL access to the WHS. Is this at all possible?? If so, how would you suggest going about it?
    Monday, September 20, 2010 7:17 PM

All replies

• The streaming in Windows Home Server is pretty basic; it's either on or it's off, and there's no security on it. So it won't be possible to limit access to some content the way you want, I'm afraid.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 20, 2010 8:09 PM
  • Could he try the non-standard way of installing media player 11 and sharing through that?
    Monday, September 20, 2010 8:30 PM
  • sorry, although i'm fine with basic networking, i'm pretty new to all this advanced stuff. this is my first real foray into networking!

What is the "non-standard" way to install WMP11??

The only way I can think of to solve my problem is to set up another server with the stuff my son will be allowed to access on and completely lock him out of the main server....could I use the XP MCE to achieve this or maybe a virtual server?

I've been looking for answers to this for weeks now (I like to be prepared) but cannot seem to find any way around it.

Another thought occurs.....is there any way to digitally set age restrictions on a file (i.e. say this movie is for over 18's only) then I could use the parental controls on the XBOX 360

Many thanks for your replies so far

Simon

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 7:08 AM
  • In Windows Media Center, when the Xbox functions as an extender, it uses user IDs starting with MCX1 for the first Xbox, then increments from there.  I haven't looked, but I wonder what it shows on WHS when a specific Xbox accesses content.

Here's a write up as to how these IDs can be used to control security in extender mode.  Wonder if there's any application here.  Again, I haven't looked at my logs so don't know if it's applicable.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:17 PM
  • Many thanks Andy,

I hadn't thought of looking at it from an extender point of view it's definately worth a read.  I shall have a look tonight and post the results later.

Once again, many thanks for everyone's input, it's been very helpful so far but anymore suggestions are always welcome :)

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:49 PM
  • You may try looking into something like Twonky Media Server.  You may be able the control which clients get access to which folders, but I am not sure.
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 11:33 PM