OneCare not detecting WHS Backup present in 64-bit Vista Ultimate RRS feed

• Question

•  

I was wondering if there is a reason that OneCare doesn't detect that I have the Windows Home Server console installed and performing computer backups like it does in 32-bit Vista Ultimate. I want to only have one of the two backup methods running, and I would prefer it be WHS, but I can't disable OneCare's backup without sacrificing the green OneCare icon.

In 32-bit Vista it detected WHS and asked to disable the OneCare backup. No problem. Not the case in 64-bit though. I know that 64-bit was only recently added to the supported list for WHS with the release of PowerPack 1. Is there a planned update for OneCare to address this, or is it something wrong with my machine and not a lack of support for integration between WHS and OneCare in a 64-bit environment?

Thursday, September 4, 2008 11:00 PM

Answers

• You can disable the backup in OneCare without going to risk status even if you aren't using another solution.

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

The detection of the WHS client used to only happen at install of OneCare, but perhaps the detection isn't the same for x64 based on the way OneCare checks for this. In any event, feel free to disable OneCare backup.

-steve

Friday, September 5, 2008 12:51 PM