Licensing - how can I use MS Office on a new computer that is installed on the computer I am retiring? RRS feed

• Question

• I installed MS Office 2003 on a new computer and it is giving me an error message "this version of Office is not genuine".  This version was installed on the computer I am retiring.  Is this message related to that, and if so, how can I use it on my new computer?  I am not interested in upgrading to 2007.
    • Moved by Ashutosh MMicrosoft Support Saturday, March 13, 2010 12:05 PM OGA issue (From:Installing, Upgrading, and Activating Microsoft Office Products)
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 9:18 PM

Answers

• To prevent the error 'this version of Office is not genuine', try the steps given in the link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836178 and remove the other Office programs.

Then try to reinstall office 2003.

Ganesh Kumar N,

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.

• We appreciate your participation in MS Forums, Help us understand your needs better. To share your valuable Feedback please Click here.
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 9:15 AM

All replies

• If it's an OEM version it belongs to the retired computer. An OEM version cannot be transfered to another computer.
    Gérard
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 10:14 PM
  • What Gerard means is did the Office 2003 come preinstalled with your old computer? If so, it is an OEM version and it will have to retire on your old computer. A retail version can move.

Is it an upgrade or full version of Office? If is is an upgrade you need a qualifying version like you would have had on your retired computer.

Are you typing the key correctly?
    Ron
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 11:47 PM
  • To prevent the error 'this version of Office is not genuine', try the steps given in the link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836178 and remove the other Office programs.

Then try to reinstall office 2003.

Ganesh Kumar N,

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.

• We appreciate your participation in MS Forums, Help us understand your needs better. To share your valuable Feedback please Click here.
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 9:15 AM