Explorer issues with Live Mesh RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Vista Enterprise on my high-end HP laptop and have had Mesh installed for over a month now.

Today, my icons and thumbnails started disappearing from my desktop, Start bar and explorer windows. I try to open an explorer window and nothing works. It seems that explorer.exe is crashing. Rebooting seems to fix the problem until it happens again. 

I understand that Mesh updates thumbnails and am wondering if this is a known issue (explorer crashing or dwm.exe)

3 of my coworkers who are also running Vista and Live Mesh are also experiencing this exact problem.

- Alicia

Monday, October 27, 2008 4:56 PM

Answers

• I can't reproduce it (yet). It was right after I booted up which may have meant the Mesh was updating today.

I took a screenshot of the icons when they were blank. The icons that were blank were the Quick Start icons, blank icons appeared on my desktop for open Explorer windows, the Quick Launch section of the Start menu was empty, Recent Items were empty, and in an Explorer window, Favorite folder links were empty.

Hope this helps. I'll keep watching for it and post more if I discover anything new.

Alicia

Monday, October 27, 2008 11:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Alicia,

Were you doing anything with Live Mesh when the icons started to disappear?  We've had reports of Live Mesh rearranging/disabling Quick Launch icons on installation or update, but that doesn't sound like what you're describing.  Is there an action, or sequence of actions, that reliably reproduces the crashing that you're seeing?  Any additional information you could provide will help us troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, October 27, 2008 5:57 PM
  • I can't reproduce it (yet). It was right after I booted up which may have meant the Mesh was updating today.

I took a screenshot of the icons when they were blank. The icons that were blank were the Quick Start icons, blank icons appeared on my desktop for open Explorer windows, the Quick Launch section of the Start menu was empty, Recent Items were empty, and in an Explorer window, Favorite folder links were empty.

Hope this helps. I'll keep watching for it and post more if I discover anything new.

Alicia

Monday, October 27, 2008 11:42 PM