locked
CRM 4.0 Outlook Clients cannot go online "unknown error has occurred. retry action" RRS feed

  • Question

  •  

    We just did a server upgrade from crm 3.0 to 4.0 enterprise.  Now we are completley removing Crm3.0 on laptops and putting Crm4.0 on them with offline mode enabled. 

     

    Users are ok on the Web no problem with this.  But even doing fresh installs on a re-imaged PC we can't get CRM 4.0 to go offline without an error.  If we don't go offline it works fine.  Getting the message on my lab PC "unknown error has occurred. try action".  I've tried loading the cumlative servicepack kb950088 loading xp sp3, on another PC SQL Express SP2, nothing has worked. 

     

    last entry in the event application log is below on my lab PC.  Any help would be very very much appreciated.

     

    Thank You.

     

    Event code: 3005

    Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.

    Event time: 10/15/2008 7:27:47 PM

    Event time (UTC): 10/16/2008 12:27:47 AM

    Event ID: cd5f656b027e4ca78e004d6d00264af0

    Event sequence: 548

    Event occurrence: 7

    Event detail code: 0

    Application information:

    Application domain: ca72175d-1-128685885192477148

    Trust level: Full

    Application Virtual Path: /

    Application Path: c:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics CRM\Client\res\web\

    Machine name: 

    Process information:

    Process ID: 3576

    Process name: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Hoster.exe

    Account name:

    Exception information:

    Exception type: CrmException

    Exception message: systemuser With Id = 13a6a926-2099-dd11-8925-001372522e36 Does Not Exist

    Request information:

    Request URL: http://127.0.0.1:2525/_root/homepage.aspx?etc=2

    Request path: /_root/homepage.aspx

    User host address: 127.0.0.1

    User:

    Is authenticated: False

    Authentication Type:

    Thread account name:

    Thread information:

    Thread ID: 13

    Thread account name:

    Is impersonating: False

    Stack trace: at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Platform.ServiceCommands.PlatformCommand.ExecuteInternal()

    at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Platform.ServiceCommands.RetrieveMultiple


     

    Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:40 AM

Answers

  • We had custom security roles on the CRM server for our company.  I took a built in role salesperson and copied it to create a new security role.  Then tab by tab re-created the old security role.  So far it's working.  The user is able to go offline and online with this new security role and without sysadmin rights.

     

    Thank you for you help.

     

    Thursday, October 16, 2008 5:05 PM

All replies

  • It looks like a user rights issue.  A couple of things to try.

    1. run CRM Diagnostics for the client from the user machine.  It is under CRM Dynamic program file
    2. Check to see that the user security role has Offline rights
    3. Temporarily give the user Sys Admin rights and see if you can take outlook offline
    4. Check the Local Data Group queries in Outlook under CRM / Local Data Groups and ensure the user has rights to all the data you are trying to pull offline
      1. You can also deactive all the Local Data Groups and just leave one like My Contacts and see if the user can go Offline.
      2. You can then activate the queries one-by-one to see if the Data Groups are the issue.

     

     

    Thursday, October 16, 2008 2:01 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.

     

    I gave the user sysadmin rights and was able to go offline and online with no issues.  Once I took away the role the problem came back.  I will continue with your suggestions and post results.

     

     

    Thursday, October 16, 2008 2:15 PM
  • Ok great, so it is a rights issue.  You need to identify which rights the user does not have.  Work through the suggestions and we should be able to identify the rights missing.

     

    Thursday, October 16, 2008 2:19 PM
  • We had custom security roles on the CRM server for our company.  I took a built in role salesperson and copied it to create a new security role.  Then tab by tab re-created the old security role.  So far it's working.  The user is able to go offline and online with this new security role and without sysadmin rights.

     

    Thank you for you help.

     

    Thursday, October 16, 2008 5:05 PM