none
MCITP Training: Hyper-V and USB RRS feed

• General discussion

• Since most of us are probably using virtualization now for our MCITP training, we would likely have found Hyper-V to be an extremely capable virtualization platform.

However, since Hyper-V was designed for server virtualization rather than desktop virtualization, it lacks certain desktop virtualization features such as sound, 3D graphics acceleration, and USB support for virtual machines.

Of these, the inability to directly access USB storage devices from the virtual machines can often be the biggest nuisance, but here is a simple work-around I found recently on the web. I’m assuming you’re using Server 2008 or Server 2008 R2.

- plug USB drive into physical machine and ensure drive recognized

- go into disk management and take the USB drive offline

- in Hyper-V manager add an IDE hard drive to the virtual machine

- choose “physical disk” when given choice of VHD or physical disk

- the USB drive will now be available in the virtual machine

I hope you find this information useful. Please feel free to reply with any improvements you might have.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 5:58 AM

All replies

• Since most of us are probably using virtualization now for our MCITP training, we would likely have found Hyper-V to be an extremely capable virtualization platform.

However, since Hyper-V was designed for server virtualization rather than desktop virtualization, it lacks certain desktop virtualization features such as sound, 3D graphics acceleration, and USB support for virtual machines.

Of these, the inability to directly access USB storage devices from the virtual machines can often be the biggest nuisance, but here is a simple work-around I found recently on the web. I’m assuming you’re using Server 2008 or Server 2008 R2.

- plug USB drive into physical machine and ensure drive recognized

- go into disk management and take the USB drive offline

- in Hyper-V manager add an IDE hard drive to the virtual machine

- choose “physical disk” when given choice of VHD or physical disk

- the USB drive will now be available in the virtual machine

I hope you find this information useful. Please feel free to reply with any improvements you might have.

This would be more beneficial on the MCT forums.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 6:30 AM
  • Hi Mr. Wharty,

Thanks for your reply. What are the MCT forums? I searched all the forums under "Forums Home" and there is no MCT forum.

Anyhow, the ability to directly access USB devices with ease in VMware Workstation was one of the reasons I continued to use VMware for my MCITP training instead of Hyper-V, except when Hyper-V was specifically required as part of the training.

I'm sure I'm not the only student who has faced that challenge with Hyper-V during MCITP training and needed to find a solution. This doesn't work for all USB devices (hardware keys, etc.) but it works fine for storage devices like external hard drives and flash drives.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 11:01 AM
  • Agree.

The MCT forums can be found at http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/mct/default.aspx

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 11:03 AM
  • Hi Mr. Wharty,

I tried the link, but I got the error, "Group Not Found. The requested group cannot be found."

Maybe it's not active yet, or maybe you need to have a MCT ID as part of your login credentials to access it. I am not an MCT.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 11:10 AM
  • It's active and has been active for a long time. 

Sorry, I mistook your comments on training as meaning you were a MCT :-)

Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 11:23 AM
  • Sure Mr. Wharty. No problem at all :-)
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 11:38 AM
  • This work-around works fine for USB storage devices such as flash drives and external hard drives, and should be fine for our MCITP training.

However, if you require a more robust commercial solution, or need to connect other devices such as dongles, fingerprint scanners, or hardware keys, then FabulaTech makes such a product. It is a software USB-over-network solution, and permits USB redirection to a Hyper-V virtual machine.

Each virtual machine requires a license starting at $149 per USB device. This is not cheap, but if you have such a requirement on your production network, then the cost might be justified.

I used the 15-day trial, and it worked fine for me, until I discovered the free work-around I posted about earlier.

Thursday, August 9, 2012 4:53 PM