Migrate from data and customizations from CRM 3.0 to CRM 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

1-i have excel sheets containing data. I need to know what are the tools that can be used to migrate this data into CRM 4.0 and i need a link to find these tools. 

2-i need to know how i can get my customizations done on CRM 3.0 server my to CRM 4.0 server? Any link to read on this too?

Thanks

Monday, March 3, 2008 8:01 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

1. You can export the data to .CSV format, then import CRM 4.0 by either using Import Wizard or Data Migration Manager.

2. Export customizations from CRM 3.0, then Import to 4.0, nothing special.

Cheers,

Jim

Monday, March 3, 2008 11:09 AM
  • But in many posts i've read that this can't be done and that i have to have crm 3.0 and then upgrade to crm 4.0 in order to have these customizations. Isn't it right?

Monday, March 3, 2008 11:47 AM
  • Sorry, my wrong. There isn't a supported way to export from 3.0 to 4.0 directly.

Alternatively, what you could do to workaround it: upgrade a dev CRM from 3 to 4, then test the customization, export from the dev, then import to live(I suppose live is a clean installation of CRM 4).

Cheers,

Jim

Monday, March 3, 2008 12:13 PM
  • But i don't wanna upgrade both servers to 4.0, i wanna keep one on 3.0 and the other on 4.0. So is there any way to export the customizations i did on 3.0 to 4.0?
    Monday, March 3, 2008 1:20 PM
  • I'm afraid that there isn't a 'convert' tool available at the moment, so I recommend you could have a VPC for it?

Cheers,

Jim

Monday, March 3, 2008 1:58 PM
  • hi, what do u mean by VPC? is it virtual pc? u mean to install crm 3.0 on a virtual machine then upgrade it to 4.0 and export the customization files to my 4.0 server? is that right?

Monday, March 3, 2008 2:40 PM
  • Yes, that's right. Smile

Monday, March 3, 2008 2:45 PM
  • You wont even need to build your own VirtualPC - there is already a pre-made CRM 3 and CRM 4 VPC available at download.microsoft.com

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 10:17 AM
  • My customizations are done on a virtual machine i created. So i'll upgrade this VM to CRM 4.0 and then export customization file and then i'll import them into my CRM 4.0 server. Will this be fine?

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 3:07 PM
  • That should work fine.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 3:19 PM
  • Did this work?

I am using SBS 2003, looking to migrate from 3 to 4.

Backed up my SQL databases, but am afraid to take the leap without understanding the strategy.

I thought I needed to install SQL 2005 Express with Advanced Tools, then migrate the databases over to that instance.

Then upgrade to 4.0 on existing box

Then migrate 4.0 databases to another box.

Sure... it sounds easy enough ;-)

Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:17 PM