Accidentally overwrote XP Home Edition with a friend's XP SP3 Pro update by mistake; can't register on Internet RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Microsoft:

In December of 2004 I purchased a 17” Dell Inspiron laptop; with Windows XP Home Edition SP1 & SP2 installed.  Recently; a virus invaded my computer; which was so pervasive, it was necessary to reformat the hardrive & re-install my Windows XP Home Edition from CD.  However; because I did not have my internal modem functioning yet; I borrowed a friend’s Windows XP Service Pack 3 CD; not realizing @ the time that it was the Professional Edition.  Also, it required a different Code of Authenticity; which did not match my original one.  I downloaded software that allowed me to determine the new CoA; but because either it is a different category of operating system; as well as not a download as before that matched my original Windows XP; it will not allow me to register it on the Internet.  Returning to a restore point is NOT an option; & SP3 is un-installable itself.  What other options are available before the trial period expires in the next 2 weeks?  I really do not wish to reformat & start all over.  It took me 2 weeks just to restore all my programs. (;<)  (caddman27@gmail.com)

My computer information is as follows:

Service Tag #:                         7DDK961

XSC:                                       16046316649

W-XP-CoA:                            <Deleted By Moderator>

• Edited by Darin Smith MS Thursday, May 12, 2011 9:24 PM Deleted Product Key
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 9:42 PM

Answers

• "Morgan8r" wrote in message news:4282ad04-6937-49cf-b81a-61a6e2f2d330...

Dear Microsoft:

In December of 2004 I purchased a 17” Dell Inspiron laptop; with Windows XP Home Edition SP1 & SP2 installed.  Recently; a virus invaded my computer; which was so pervasive, it was necessary to reformat the hardrive & re-install my Windows XP Home Edition from CD.  However; because I did not have my internal modem functioning yet; I borrowed a friend’s Windows XP Service Pack 3 CD; not realizing @ the time that it was the Professional Edition.  Also, it required a different Code of Authenticity; which did not match my original one.  I downloaded software that allowed me to determine the new CoA; but because either it is a different category of operating system; as well as not a download as before that matched my original Windows XP; it will not allow me to register it on the Internet.  Returning to a restore point is NOT an option; & SP3 is un-installable itself.  What other options are available before the trial period expires in the next 2 weeks?  I really do not wish to reformat & start all over.  It took me 2 weeks just to restore all my programs. (;<)  (caddman27@gmail.com)

W-XP-CoA:                            [redacted]

It's not easy to do such a thing by accident!

Please REMOVE your COA - or it will end up being blocked for abuse!

You will have to reformat and reinstall using (preferably) the manufacturer's Recovery disks - contact Dell to order a set.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 10:33 PM
  • You need to get the correct Dell Windows XP Home Edition Reinstallation CD for your Dell PC.  See: How to Request Dell Backup Discs
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, May 9, 2011 3:17 AM

All replies

• "Morgan8r" wrote in message news:4282ad04-6937-49cf-b81a-61a6e2f2d330...

Dear Microsoft:

W-XP-CoA:                            [redacted]

It's not easy to do such a thing by accident!

Please REMOVE your COA - or it will end up being blocked for abuse!

You will have to reformat and reinstall using (preferably) the manufacturer's Recovery disks - contact Dell to order a set.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 10:33 PM
  • You need to get the correct Dell Windows XP Home Edition Reinstallation CD for your Dell PC.  See: How to Request Dell Backup Discs
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, May 9, 2011 3:17 AM