CRM 2011 Outlook client - exporting reports to excel issue RRS feed

• Question

• I need assistance determining why some users cannot export reports into Excel, PDF etc. via CRM Outlook but other users within the same organization can. Here is an example:

I have a client with two users who open CRM via Outlook, navigate to the reports section, select a report, run the report, and attempt to export the report into Excel, PDF, or any other choice. Nothing happens. It's as if you never clicked the file type. All the other users have no problems printing reports. They all have Outlook 2010 and are on the same update rollup. Note, the two users who cannot perform this task CAN export on the website.

I have attempted to print reports via my own CRM/Outlook client and they fail as well. It is as if I never clicked the export button. However, several of my colleagues have no problems.

Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas on what I can try to troubleshoot it?

Monday, September 10, 2012 4:10 PM

Answers

• I worked with Microsoft Support to troubleshoot this issue. Below are the findings:

It appears that there are two KBs associated with this particular problem: KB2699988 and KB2722913. I removed the 2<sup>nd</sup> KB yesterday (the 1<sup>st</sup> was removed a few weeks ago) but the problem persisted. He said it is likely there is a security update tied to IE9 that is associated with this issue, so short of uninstalling IE9 and reverting to IE8 he had me perform the following regedit change.

•      Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MIME_HANDLING
      •      Within FEATURE_MIME_HANDLING, please change the DWORD entry for OUTLOOK.EXE from 1 to 0

This is an issue that the MS development team plans to address in Update Rollup 11 later this year. Making this change to the regedit does not completely fix the problem. It is only a workaround solution until UR11 is deployed.  Once I made the above change and reran a report via the Outlook CRM client and attempt to export to PDF, the open or save screen pops up as it should. However, I can only save the PDF and then open it. If I click the Open button, nothing happens. He said this is part of the workaround.

So in summary, users who have this issue have the following choices:

1. Use the web to export reports until UR11 is deployed in their environment
    2. Perform the above regedit change and save the document prior to opening it
    3. Revert back to IE8 until UR11 is deployed in their environment 
    • Marked as answer by Ashley K. _ Monday, September 24, 2012 1:35 PM
    Monday, September 24, 2012 1:35 PM

All replies

• we have encounter this issue before and it was caused by window update (KB2699988) at that time..

If the users really want to view the report and export to another format then they need to remove the windows update is KB2699988 as mentioned below.

1. Open control panel

2. Click on uninstall or change program

3. Click on View installed updates

4. Go to Microsoft Windows section

5. Find Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB2699988)

6. Uninstall that and restart computer.

7. After restart, to test it open any report in outlook and try to export it to any format and it should work!

Other options are :-

•  I would suggest that they use the IE for any reports they want to export.
      • The other option is to press ctrl + n when running the in outlook which will open a new window for the report to run and will allow you to export it.

hope this helps..

MayankP
    My Blog
    Follow Me on Twitter

Monday, September 10, 2012 4:15 PM
    Answerer
  • Sorry I forgot to mention everything I've done already on my own computer to try and fix this issue.

• I uninstalled the Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB2699988)
    • I uninstalled the Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB2719177)
    • I reset IE9

None of these fixed the issue.

Monday, September 10, 2012 4:19 PM
  • have you restarted your PC after uninstalling these security update?

MayankP
    My Blog
    Follow Me on Twitter

Monday, September 10, 2012 4:24 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes, I uninstalled them last week and shut down every night. Unfortunately still no luck.
    Monday, September 10, 2012 4:26 PM
  • I'm having the same issue starting this week.  KB2699988 is not installed on our machines and still no luck
    Friday, September 21, 2012 2:47 PM
  • I worked with Microsoft Support to troubleshoot this issue. Below are the findings:

It appears that there are two KBs associated with this particular problem: KB2699988 and KB2722913. I removed the 2<sup>nd</sup> KB yesterday (the 1<sup>st</sup> was removed a few weeks ago) but the problem persisted. He said it is likely there is a security update tied to IE9 that is associated with this issue, so short of uninstalling IE9 and reverting to IE8 he had me perform the following regedit change.

•      Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MIME_HANDLING
      •      Within FEATURE_MIME_HANDLING, please change the DWORD entry for OUTLOOK.EXE from 1 to 0

This is an issue that the MS development team plans to address in Update Rollup 11 later this year. Making this change to the regedit does not completely fix the problem. It is only a workaround solution until UR11 is deployed.  Once I made the above change and reran a report via the Outlook CRM client and attempt to export to PDF, the open or save screen pops up as it should. However, I can only save the PDF and then open it. If I click the Open button, nothing happens. He said this is part of the workaround.

So in summary, users who have this issue have the following choices:

1. Use the web to export reports until UR11 is deployed in their environment
    2. Perform the above regedit change and save the document prior to opening it
    3. Revert back to IE8 until UR11 is deployed in their environment 
    • Marked as answer by Ashley K. _ Monday, September 24, 2012 1:35 PM
    Monday, September 24, 2012 1:35 PM
  • That isn't the solution I'm afraid.  If you read back through this thread https://community.dynamics.com/product/crm/f/117/p/82125/168470.aspx?PageIndex=1 you will see those items have been brought up already, but were simple workarounds.  Some of which have already been shown to be secuirty issues themselves.

Microsoft Support has already been told to stop telling people to do that, but it seems not all got the message.

You will be happy to know that according to Microsoft the Critical on Demand fix I requested for this issue should be deliveried to me today and I will start testing it.  If it works then we will actually have a fix for this issue.

Also if you don't know already another cumulative security update for ie was released over the weekend that continues to break CRM exporting so please be aware of that as well.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:34 PM
  • Thanks Ashley & Ralph  you guys just saved us a phone call (and 2 hours) with Microsoft.

I found that you only have to make the registry change (tested on 3 computers, using an PDF export from a report) to resolve the issue.  (of course we might have to reapply when they get next cumulative security update)

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 5:50 PM
  • xAirrick -

Please be aware that the registry change causes a security issue which is why it was suppose to be removed from consideration.  Support shouldn't be giving that out anymore.

IE, Outlook, and other programs use Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) type information to decide how to handle files sent by a Web server. For example, when Internet Explorer receives a .jpg file, the user sees the file in an Internet Explorer window. If Internet Explorer receives an executable (.exe) file, it generally prompts the user for a decision on how to handle the file. The MIME Handling Restriction security feature protects users from accidentally downloading or executing a dangerous file because of misleading MIME or file name extension information.

What Happens If You Disable This Security Feature?

If you disable this feature, users can download malicious content, disguised with an incorrect filename extension. Once a file is downloaded, an incorrect extension handler can run the file, enabling the malicious content to cause damage.

You are disabling this in OUTLOOK - one of the main ways users are going to get files that could be malicious.  It really isn't worth it.  MIME is there for a reason.  To protect the user from themselves.

There is hope however.  I just received an update from Microsoft and have a possible fix in hand as of about 30 minutes ago.  I will be testing it over the next week.  If you follow the other thread I posted you will see what I find along the way.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:33 PM
  • Thanks Ralph, you been very helpful on this issue.
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 2:27 PM
  • What is the status of this issue as of today?  Thanks for info.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 3:09 PM
  • I asked my support rep if he could provide me the fix and has not contacted me back.

Ralph_O , Any updates?

Monday, October 8, 2012 12:13 PM
  • I just installed UR11, restarted, and ......  still not working.
    Friday, October 19, 2012 10:24 AM
  • I received a work around last week, if you hold CTRL + ALT before clicking the type of file you wish to export to it will work. Fix will not be out till December with Roll Up 12. 

**EDIT: Applying the registry option will open up security vulnerabilities and is not recommended.

1.    The first way would be to run the report from the Web Client and export the results from there.  

2.    Hit Ctrl + Alt and then click the export button from within the Outlook Client.  When you choose the file type, it should prompt you to Save or Open.  

3.    The final way around this would be to make the following registry key changes:  

The first registry setting change is in the FEATURE_MIME_HANDLING section of the registry.  

a.       Open the registry  (regedit)
    b.      Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MIME_HANDLING, and change the DWORD entry for OUTLOOK.EXE from 1 to 0
    c.       Restart Outlook

If you have 32 –bit Outlook and 32-bit OS then the path is
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MIME_HANDLING 

The second is the in the FEATURE_RESTRICT_FILEDOWNLOAD in the registry at the following location:  

a.       Open the registry  (regedit)
    b.      Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_RESTRICT_FILEDOWNLOAD, and change the DWORD entry for OUTLOOK.EXE from 1 to 0
    c.       Restart Outlook

If you have 32 –bit Outlook and 32-bit OS then the path is
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\ FEATURE_RESTRICT_FILEDOWNLOAD
    4.    The other option would be to uninstall Security Update for Microsoft Windows: KB2699988.

• Edited by ejw179 Friday, October 19, 2012 11:50 AM
    Friday, October 19, 2012 11:49 AM
  • For the benefit of anyone coming across this old thread, I had a similar issue downloading Advanced Find views.

Expanding on other solutions here, this is what worked:

• Close Outlook
    • Gear Icon -> Internet Options
    • Advanced Tab
    • Click Reset
    • Check the box to delete personal options
    • restart Outlook

This was for the Unable to get property 'performExcelExport' of undefined or null referenceerror.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 9:03 PM