PC Backup - Going from RAID 0 array to single large drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell XPS410 PC running Windows VISTA Home Edition which was originally configured with a RAID 0 array with two 500MB drives. Due to a lightning event, the PC lost both hard drives and I agreed with the repair shop that replacement with a non RAID, single 1TB drive would be the sensible approach (also, Dell indicated there would be problems trying to set up the RAID array again).

My question is, are there special steps I need to take in restoring the hard drive from my Windows Home Server (running on an HP Media Server). Do I need to add the driver for the new disk to the driver files saved as part of the backup, and if so, how should the driver files be labeled? Do I need to delete the driver for the old drives? Will the original RAID setup screw things up when the Home Server restores the original drive contents? Are there any PC hardware configuration changes that need to be made? These questions seem to be over the top for my repair folks, so hope I can get some concrete answers here. Thanks in advance for any help!!
    Monday, September 28, 2009 11:30 PM

All replies

• I would recommend giving it a try just to see if it will work. Vista includes a pretty wide range of drivers inbox, so there's a decent chance that it will have appropriate drivers already available.

As for configuration changes, Dell can tell you more about what you will need to do than we can.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 1:14 AM
  • If you set the new drive to run in (enhanced) AHCI mode you may run into problems (during and after recovery), so best set the drive to run in native IDE mode (in system BIOS). Additional advantage; no need to install additional driverd

There's a fair chance the system will not boot after recovery, in that case you can probably fix things by booting into repair mode from original Vista installation media (steps one and two as described on this page)
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 11:25 AM