none
ICE completed stitching of large TIFF 80 image composite always works but first time won't export as TIFF, why?

Question

• Hello Forum Technical Help

ICE completed stitching of large 80 image TIFF composite and it always works beautifully, but this is the first time that it won't export as TIFF, why?

I have used ICE for several years, but this is the first time today that it will not export the beautifully finished stitch of the night sky, as a TIFF. It only allows JPEG, Zoom, Photoshop, or PNG.

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Mark Seibold

Sunday, November 23, 2014 12:01 AM

All replies

• I'm guessing that your stitched panorama is too large for the TIFF file format.  ICE can only export a TIFF image if the area (width times height) is 536,870,912 pixels or less.  That's about 537 megapixels total, or roughly 80 images of 6.7 megapixels each if there's no significant overlap (higher resolution if there is a lot of overlap).

Try reducing the output scale below 100% until the total size drops below 537 megapixels, and the TIFF option should become enabled again.  Or you could use another file format, of course.

Where does the limit come from?  The TIFF file format uses 32-bit offsets internally, but some implementations use signed integers, meaning it's only safe to use 31-bit offsets.  This effectively limits the maximum file size of a TIFF image to 2^31 bytes, which in turn limits the image size to 2^29 = 536,870,912 pixels in area, assuming four bytes per pixel and no compression.

Eric Stollnitz, Computational Photography Group, Microsoft Research

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 12:32 AM
  • Is there a similar limit for jpeg export ? I found yesterday that I was not able to save a large panorama as jpeg, but wen I cropped by about 70%,  I could.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 2:40 PM