Cannot restore files from a backup. RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to restore files from a previous OneCare backup.  After I have selected the files to be restored, Onecare displays the following error message:

"Restore cannot continue because the external hard drive is no longer available.  It might have been disconnected.  Make sure the device is connected and then try running Restore again."

The external hard drive is connected and Onecare does allow me to select the files that I want to restore from the Backup, however, it would not restore the files.  Is there a workaround for this problem?

Thursday, May 1, 2008 3:07 AM

Answers

• If the backup location was configured as Centralized Backup before, I believe it needs to be configured as Centralized Backup in order for it to restore from.

A few more questions that I failed to ask before....

1. Since the drive was used as a Centralized Backup device before, has its location changed? In other words, if it was attached to PC #1 when backups from one or more PCs were performed, is it now connected to a different PC?

2. Is the drive still functioning as a Centralized Backup location for the other computers? Are backups being performed to that location?

I'll add that you can contact support for help on the problem, too.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, May 2, 2008 12:21 PM

All replies

• How was the original backup configured to that drive? Was the drive an external drive on the PC where backup was performed or was it a shared network drive for a single PC or Centralized backup?

You may be able to use the following workaround.

Configure a backup on the PC you are currently trying to restore files to. Point the backup to the external USB drive. Select a file category that doesn't backup much data, based on the space required. You want this to go quickly... Then select Save and then run that new backup plan.

Once it has completed, try the custom restore again. To reconfigure the backup, change the backup settings as desired and save the revised plan.

-steve

Thursday, May 1, 2008 1:35 PM
  • I tried the method you suggested but I got the same error message again.

The drive is an external drive that was used for centralized backup.  Please let me know if you think of any other possible solution.

Thanks.

Heinrich

Friday, May 2, 2008 2:25 AM
  • If the backup location was configured as Centralized Backup before, I believe it needs to be configured as Centralized Backup in order for it to restore from.

A few more questions that I failed to ask before....

1. Since the drive was used as a Centralized Backup device before, has its location changed? In other words, if it was attached to PC #1 when backups from one or more PCs were performed, is it now connected to a different PC?

2. Is the drive still functioning as a Centralized Backup location for the other computers? Are backups being performed to that location?

I'll add that you can contact support for help on the problem, too.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, May 2, 2008 12:21 PM