TV Tuner RRS feed

• Question

• I know there are multiple threads on this subject, but does anyone out there actually have a TV tuner card installed and working?

I want to be able to stream live TV from my WHS. I already stream live video from a webcam attached to my WHS.
    Thursday, November 22, 2007 3:32 PM

Answers

• I see this thread, this one, and this one, just off the top. I cheated and searched for Hauppauge. Smile

You're right that none of the tuner manufacturers say they support Windows Server 2003. Why would they? It's a tiny part of their market. Nevertheless, some of them obviously do work. Since I don't think Microsoft is likely to include support for them in Windows Home Server (and if they do, it certainly won't happen for quite a while), you're likely to have to do some experimenting to determine what will work best for you.

Eventually, though, I expect some manufacturer is going to offer support for Windows Home Server. WHS is a logical place to collect your media, and as such it's also a logical place to capture media.
    Friday, November 23, 2007 4:05 AM

All replies

• Tommy, if you read those multiple threads, you will see that several people are using tuner cards in their WHS PCs. Typically I think they're using third party software like Sage TV to schedule and control the tuner.
    Thursday, November 22, 2007 5:49 PM
  • I browsed through those threads and didnt see any mention of a particular brand of TV tuner card.

The card will need Windows 2003 drivers. I dont plan on running anything but windows media encoder to stream from the TV tuner card. There are numerous cards out there but none say they support WHS or Windows 2003.

Thursday, November 22, 2007 8:44 PM
  • I see this thread, this one, and this one, just off the top. I cheated and searched for Hauppauge. Smile

You're right that none of the tuner manufacturers say they support Windows Server 2003. Why would they? It's a tiny part of their market. Nevertheless, some of them obviously do work. Since I don't think Microsoft is likely to include support for them in Windows Home Server (and if they do, it certainly won't happen for quite a while), you're likely to have to do some experimenting to determine what will work best for you.

Eventually, though, I expect some manufacturer is going to offer support for Windows Home Server. WHS is a logical place to collect your media, and as such it's also a logical place to capture media.
    Friday, November 23, 2007 4:05 AM
  •  

FYI: they do not say that they support Win2K3, but they do have drivers for them.
    Monday, November 26, 2007 5:40 AM
  • I connected Hauppauge HVR950 USB stick to WHS last night.  All functions, including live tv streaming, works great with Beyond TV software, but couldn't get it to work with SageTV software.

Monday, November 26, 2007 11:48 PM
  • Here is a list of compatible cards. I don't know if any of you still check this. 

Anyone know if an atom processor could handle a hauppauge 2250. I would like to put it in my acer h340 and do a pvr that could get 2 channels.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 3:59 AM