Could not update WMI to communicate to WSC. RRS feed

• Question

• Could not update WMI to communicate to WSC. this is the error in the event log. This started wednesday of last week on the 18th.
    What it says to me is that onecare's been compromised.
    What it doesn't tell me is how to fix it so this error goes away.

I've googled for this, but only get pages that have all the words on the page. Nothing with this specific error that are of any use.

Any help on fixing this or finding out why it's happening ?

Monday, March 23, 2009 5:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• No, it's a bug that appeared with the 2.5.2900.22 update received last week:

Sticky: windows security center error - Vista / OneCare 2.5.2900.22

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, March 23, 2009 5:50 PM
  • You're answering all my questions. I assume there's going to be a fix since someone knows it's just happened ? Just how much trouble is this going to be ?

Monday, March 23, 2009 5:53 PM
  • I don't know what the fix will involve, but I would expect that it will be automatically downloaded and OneCare updated to correct the problem. It is, as you can see in the Event Log, an issue where OneCare isn't communicating with the Windows Security Center when the PC is booted. It appears that OneCare reports its status before Windows Security Center is ready to receive this information and then doesn't try again.
    -steve
    Monday, March 23, 2009 6:12 PM
  • Sheesh. I just contacted support. Told them I'd already done all the stuff in this thread. And what do they tell me. Actually a shortened version of the rebuild wmi thing. Here it is to save a whole lot of steps..

Step: Rebuild the WMI repository

============================

1. Click the Start button, then in the "Start Search" box, type CMD but DO NOT press Enter yet.

2. In the list above, under "Programs" right-click on CMD that appears above and choose "Run as Administrator" and click "Continue".

3. In the open Window, type the following command, and then press ENTER.

winmgmt /verifyrepository

4. If the system returns "WMI repository is not consistent", please run this command: 

winmgmt /salvagerepository

It is normal if it fails for the first time.  It will stop commands to the services causing it to fail.  It may take a couple minutes for the services to shut down.  Please run the command again until the command succeeds.

After the command succeeds, OneCare and Security Center will be closed. Please reboot the system.

I got 'WMI repository is consistent' with the 1st command..

Seems to me the fix would be the same one Trend released ages ago. REMOVE the BAD UPDATE from windows update. Re-install onecare, and forget it.

Again back to my comment to allow onecare to PICK & choose which updates without having a red flag in the tray constantly for allowing human intervention to make sure I only install WORKING updates.

Well I'll pass this on to my service request..

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 1:08 PM
  • The problem is being addressed with an update to OneCare that you will receive automatically in the near future once it has been tested and released. In the meantime, ignore the warning from the Security Center if OneCare is showing all protection enabled and in green status. As far as I know, the specific issue, if the WMI repair does not resolve it, is that OneCare is not updating the status of security in the Windows Security Center on Vista machines intermittently due to a "race" condition at startup - that is, OneCare announces itself before WSC is ready to receive the status and never announces again, so the WSC reports that it is off.
    -steve
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:36 PM
  • I went with another guys solution.I removed onecare and re-installed it. I can only hope they get it fixed, before onecare installs the bad update again, or hopefully they've pulled that update since it caused this problem.
    Anyways that solutions worked for 2 of so far.

remove one care, and reinstall it. remove it completely. don't leave pieces laying around when it asks to leave the circle if you intend to reinstall. I have no idea what caused the problem so a clean install worked for me.
    Guess as clean as an uninstall goes.

I've found so many programs that drop stuff in the registry, never to be touched again and never removed.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 6:35 PM
  • I don't know if this is related or not.
    Not at all sure what's happened now. I no longer have the 'Could not update WMI to communicate to WSC.' error after doing the reinstall. But....

I'm trying to set some program defaults from the control panel in my standard account, and when I select the bottom link under programs, 'change startup programs' wrong link to begin with, I want to change associations.. I get a popup 'windows defender is turned off' then a link to turn it on..
    Security center shows nothing wrong, and onecare is all in the green, so I have no desire to turn defender on.
    But somehow I think that popup shouldn't happen..

That might explain, if I hadn't already accomplished a few days ago, as to why I can't change the internet protocols from IE back to FF.
    What's happening is I hit a url link in my news program, and instead of using FF [as it's done for a few years], it now opens IE, and there's no option in the standard account to use FF as a default program.
    So changing the associations doesn't offer FF as an option either.
    catch-22 you can't get there from here.

But I do have it configured correctly in the admin account.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:59 PM
  • If you have OneCare running and green, all is good and Defender should be off. Unfortunately, even with OneCare taking over the duties of Defender, you will still see the Defender off information in Security Center.

As to changing the options for Internet URLs to launch/use Firefox instead of IE, you might want to open Firefox and check if you can set it from within Firefox to be the default browser.

-steve
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 6:52 PM
  • I got a wierd onecare update message yesterday after the re-install.
    It basically said 'onecare is about to make an update and can't be interrupted'. Who writes these messages ? Even more to the point, what's with the notification ? 1st one I've seen, outside the forced updates.

I finally got FF working, and it once again crapped out the favorites section. It's become a daily occurance.
    Friday, March 27, 2009 10:16 AM
  • Stephen Boots said:

If you have OneCare running and green, all is good and Defender should be off. Unfortunately, even with OneCare taking over the duties of Defender, you will still see the Defender off information in Security Center.

As to changing the options for Internet URLs to launch/use Firefox instead of IE, you might want to open Firefox and check if you can set it from within Firefox to be the default browser.

-steve

FWIW: The problem wasn't the security section. It was the link underneath programs, 'change startup programs'. The link above is 'uninstall a program'. It's the control panel page, vista view. Tapped the 'change startup programs' link and it gave me that defender popup. It's accessible also from within onecare, without the defender popup. This is what I was talking about being related or not.. I don't see why defender or the popup telling me it's off should have anything to do with the 'change startup programs' link.
    Friday, March 27, 2009 10:24 AM
  • Ah, I see. What happened is the link in Control Panel actually launches Defender, hence the warning that it is off. It *is* off and should remain off. If you wish to open Defender for the utilities, you can, but OneCare will disable Defender again later if you don't.
    -steve
    Friday, March 27, 2009 1:08 PM
  • Ah, I see. What happened is the link in Control Panel actually launches Defender, hence the warning that it is off. It *is* off and should remain off. If you wish to open Defender for the utilities, you can, but OneCare will disable Defender again later if you don't.
    -steve
    One step ahead of you since this is a new happening.. I hit that link and defender popped up once, gave me password prompt, froze the machine [SOP] but never came back. Cold reboot, and can't access defender from that link at all, or anything else for that matter now.
    That UAC password prompt is almost on par with a bad virus. I dread seeing it go off to open the password. It freezes and crashes everything at least once a day.

Lots of things on the control panel are now inop..

And not sure if this is also related to this onecare problem with that security update. I'm now getting a quicktime error on a mp4 files [that have been in use for more than a year].

Here's the exact error [found it wasn't unique googling a lot of 2006 happenings similar message, different problems.]

Executable [winavi.exe, thumbs.exe, probably others, these are the only 2 that I know of right now] Pid [random characters or be4 Tid c44],Module QuicktimeSource.dll,
    3 [or other numbers] objects left active
    at line 317 [this line is a constant] of D:\Program files\DXSDK9\Samples\C++\Directshow\BaseClasses\dllentry.cpp [no such directory] D:\ is my HP protected OS storage. For when I need to restore the os to the beginning .The rest of the path is totally unknown.

Continue? (Cancel to debug)
    ===============
    There's so many things going bad now, I'm nearly at the point of a reinstall of the OS.
    Yeah, maybe I have a virus or malware, onecare ran the weekly tuneup today, found nothing. Malwarebytes ran, found nothing. Hijackthis ran, nothing found.
    Assuming onecare hasn't been taken over by some backdoor. The machine is clean. According to the CPU monitor, CPU usage is ALWAYS below 50% since installing onecare, and RAM is the same.
    b4 onecare, CPU was almost always 50-??%, and RAM nearly 100%. Onecare has done wonders in making the machine run leaner. But at what cost ? I'm losing functionality at an increasing rate.

Monday, March 30, 2009 12:05 AM
  • Sorry to read that the problem continue. Yes, it could most certainly be undetected malware, though I would find that unusual if both malwarebytes and OneCare report that all is clean.
    It could be a problem with the security update or it could be a hardware problem. Bad RAM can do some really strange things.
    -steve
    Monday, March 30, 2009 3:16 PM
  • It's been like this since win98. actually. It's just disgusting learning to accept the fact that an OS is more unstable than the weather. The reason I mention the weather is because all the machines I've used are very much susceptible to weather conditions. Almost as bad as a hill billy weather forecaster. A picture of a donkey with a rope tail nailed on the board.

The heat with my XP machine required me to run with the sides off, and 7 fans running constantly. Same 7 fans on this HP. Sides stayed on. Winter weather took 30 minutes to boot. Same cold made sides warp and internals warp from cold. Summer 90-100 degrees, shuts down with over heating.

I suppose I could check the ram, but I haven't had anything happening other than trying to keep my cintiq drivers loaded that even suggests a ram problem. ie: the GPU usage on the nvidia 8500gt instantaneous response on 29,000 x 32,000 pixel images[thats about a 1.8 gig memory sized image zooming, and spinning on screen instantaneously.]  Even though it's GPU memory, Standard RAM memory has to communicate with the GPU on read & write. Any glitch at all would affect such extreme memory usage of the GPU.

Also having a thread on the cintiq forums as to why I can't keep the drivers loaded. Last resort was to create another user account. I'm the ONLY user on this machine. I have an admin, and 2 standard accounts. The NEW cintiq standard account actually did help a little bit in keeping the drivers loaded. But I suspect adding the cintiq folders to the environment path settings had more to do with keeping the drivers loaded at bootup than the new account because the drivers still drop out sometimes if I don't use the tablet immediatley after booting.

Then there's the DIVX problem in the admin, and 1st standard account divx would play and convert, then quitting it would crash.
    The cintiq standard account worked for awhile with the divx not crashing, and now it's crashing same as the other accounts.
    Which means is that something I've now configured to run in the cintiq account is affecting divx. Question is what ?

Hmmm, as I get the cintiq account configured, it affected divx. [Canary in the mine], that might explain other things going bad. When I got the cintiq standard account up and running with JUST the basics, it ran like a top. Over the weeks, getting it up to speed like the other accounts, adding the cintiq user to the programs already installed, the machines' functionality slowly deteriorated AGAIN like with the other standard account.

I remember trying to install a standard account on a CLEAN machine out of the box when I brought this thing home. It wouldn't happen. Things froze, directories didn't exist. You couldn't login, etc... I gave up till I found that creating a second account, making it admin, and turning the admin into a standard was the ONLY way to get the 2nd account created.

Oh well if it gets bad enough I guess I can reinstall everything again.
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 3:27 PM