Photo Slideshow on Web access - not displaying pictures RRS feed

• General discussion

• Now, I know .CR2 format pictures are not offically supported (they are not supported in Windows 7 either); however, I have installed a codec pack which allows them to be displayed and they display fine in both Explorer and Windows Photo Viewer in Vail.

What I find interesting is if you log into the web page and view the pictures they display fine there too.  Where they do not display is in the SlideShow; however, the thumbnails on the right  side display fine too.

I would assume this is not a "bug" as the file format is not a supported format; however, I wonder if it is an oversight of how the pictures are being rendered.  Like I said, I find it strange they render fine everywhere else but while running the slideshow.

I also do not believe I would be the only person who would want to display "raw" photo files without having to go through the hassle of making duplicate .jpg or .png files.

FYI, I am using the Fast Picture Viewer Codes v2.1R2 from http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs.

• Changed type awesmdiver Friday, April 30, 2010 2:02 AM
    • Edited by awesmdiver Friday, April 30, 2010 2:21 AM More Info.
    Friday, April 30, 2010 2:02 AM

All replies

• I don't think it matters if you install a codec on the server. The slideshow is run through a Silverlight control (which runs on the client), which undoubtedly is unable to display the pictures.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 30, 2010 3:29 AM
  • That's what I would have thought too, but if you do not install the codec pack on the actual server NO thumbnails and/or images display at all either on the server (which is expected) or on the web page.  With codec installed on server, image or thumbnails display properly everywhere but on the Slideshow (main image) or under Sharded Folders >> Pictures.

So, it seems some parts of the web page actually do using the imaging functions on the actual server.  I'd post pics here, but don't see that you can.

Friday, April 30, 2010 4:11 AM
  • The Silverlight control that displays the slideshow is separate from the server; it can only display those file types that it was built to display. From what you're saying, the server is effectively transcoding the image thumbnails (I would guess to .png). The images themselves obviously aren't transcoded, though.

You should probably post a bug report on Connect .

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 30, 2010 5:30 AM
  • Bug reported on connect here.

Todd

Friday, April 30, 2010 2:38 PM
  • I haven’t even gotten to this state, it’s good to know that I can install the .cr2 on the server to get them somewhat visible on the webpage.  I’ll have to try that out.  I’ve also voted on your suggestion.  ;o)  As Ken mentioned, it’s all at the will of Silverlight, hopefully it can be fixed.

Great bug!
       Sean

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

"awesmdiver" wrote in message news:efbcb295-80ff-416e-b141-b2ddf5410eeb...

Bug reported on connect here.

Todd

Friday, April 30, 2010 5:40 PM