none
Replacing System Drive in Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have 4 hard drive bays 2 filled with 500 GB Drives and one fille with a 1TB Drive. I would like to replace the 2 500GB Drives with a second 1TB Drive. One of the 500 GB drives is the system drive. Is there a way to basically mount the 2nd TB drive and using the remove hard drive tool move everything to it? the WHS console doesn't give me the option to remove the system drive. 
    Monday, September 29, 2008 7:24 AM

Answers

• You cannot remove the system drive via console.
    With your setup ideally the Data partition on your primary volume ideally should be empty. (But sometimes is not on a historical grown WHS.)
    Normally you will be able to disconnect that drive, connect the new disk instead and perform a server reinstall after booting from the WHS DVD. If this doesn't get offered by setup, you should stop here.

Keeping 3 drives in the system is the optimum, since it relocates backups and shared files away from the primary volume, as long as there is enough disk space.
    So I would recommend, to leave the system disk as it is and only replace one of the 500 GB disks.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by shhwing Tuesday, September 30, 2008 4:57 AM
    Monday, September 29, 2008 10:03 AM

All replies

• You cannot remove the system drive via console.
    With your setup ideally the Data partition on your primary volume ideally should be empty. (But sometimes is not on a historical grown WHS.)
    Normally you will be able to disconnect that drive, connect the new disk instead and perform a server reinstall after booting from the WHS DVD. If this doesn't get offered by setup, you should stop here.

Keeping 3 drives in the system is the optimum, since it relocates backups and shared files away from the primary volume, as long as there is enough disk space.
    So I would recommend, to leave the system disk as it is and only replace one of the 500 GB disks.
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by shhwing Tuesday, September 30, 2008 4:57 AM
    Monday, September 29, 2008 10:03 AM
  • I had three 500 GB drives in my computer.  I had thought that the drive with the OS on it failed, as it would not be recognized by the BIOS.  I installed a new drive, installed WHS again, and all of my data is still on the system.

When I replaced that drive, I added another 500 GB drive.  The same thing happened, but this time, it was showning that 2 or the 4 drives were not being recognized in the BIOS.  I finally shut the thing off, unplugged and replugged cables to make sure they were seated properly, and somehow, the two drives came back to life, but it said there was no OS.

After reinstalling WHS again, all of my data is still there. 

I had thought that the first time that I upgraded to WHS SP1 that it had me make a new connector CD, but this time it didn't.  Now I need to figure out how to get all the computers connected to WHS again.

FYI, I'm using an ASUS M2N-LR motherboard with 4 drives in a non-RAID arrangement.

Rick M

Rick McMillion
    Monday, October 6, 2008 10:45 PM
  • Hello,
    open http://yourservername:55000 in Internet Explorer and install the connector software from there - or use the Connector software folder in the Software share.
    But maybe it is already enough to run discovery.exe from each client PC (located in c:\Program Files\Windows Home Server.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 4:03 AM
  • I got it from your link.  Thank you Olaf!

Rick M

Rick McMillion
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 8:58 AM