TODO <file description> new item found in firewall RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon,

I was cleaning out the OneCare Firewall of deleted and old applications when I came across a TODO <file description> entry.  I have searched this database, Googled the name and read all the similar questions above.  Google gave information which I do not quite understand and the other resources were not helpful.

Can you please tell me what application TODO is connected with since the firewall did not request access permission?

Thank you,

Nissi1

Vista Home Premium, SP1
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 10:10 PM

Answers

• Hello Steve,

I removed the entry yesterday since I thought if it was important, it will appear again.

As always, thank you for your prompt reply.

Nissi1
    Monday, March 2, 2009 9:40 PM

All replies

• I have no idea what TODO refers to and why it might have been allowed automatically. Programs that get allowed automatically are digitially signed or are known to be safe according to a list of programs maintained by the OneCare firewall allow/block list database.
    I would suggest blocking it and seeing what might happen - the entry may be a dependency for another program that will complain about not having access.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, March 2, 2009 7:24 PM
  • Hello Steve,

I removed the entry yesterday since I thought if it was important, it will appear again.

As always, thank you for your prompt reply.

Nissi1
    Monday, March 2, 2009 9:40 PM
  • Excellent decision. :-) And do let us know if it does reappear or if something is broken now that you've removed it. if it comes back, block it instead of deleting it. That may provide a clue as to the origin of the program.
    -steve
    Monday, March 2, 2009 10:31 PM
  • Hello Steve,

Will do.

Thank you,

Nissi1
    Monday, March 2, 2009 10:52 PM
  • I have the same problem TODO file keeps coming up in mi firewall asking me if i want to allow it or deny
    i dont know what is this,can someone help me.i have tried cleaning the registry,doing a virus/malware scans...but it kepps coming up.
    thanks
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 11:43 PM
  • I have the same problem TODO file keeps coming up in mi firewall asking me if i want to allow it or deny
    i dont know what is this,can someone help me.i have tried cleaning the registry,doing a virus/malware scans...but it kepps coming up.
    thanks

As noted earlier in the thread, I have no idea what this entry is. If you have chosen to block it, but it keeps coming back and prompting, then it is something running on your PC that wants access. Had you installed something prior to the first time you received the prompt?
    The best I can suggest is for you to contact support for help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Thursday, April 9, 2009 12:43 PM
  • Do any of you happen to have an Ipod touch, or an Iphone? I just noticed that I have the TODO file running on my computer also. I didn't know what it was either, so I've been trying to figure it out. I have AVG, and Malwarebytes on my computer, and have done a complete scan with each. Nothing!!, but anyway, with everything i'm coming up with from my searches, I believe it was installed with an Itunes update. If anyone else comes up with anything different, please let me know. If I come up with anything else, I will let you all know.

Saturday, December 4, 2010 12:11 AM