Restoring a Windows Live OneCare backup to multiple user accounts RRS feed

• Question

• I made a full backup using Windows Live OneCare to a network drive before re-installing the OS on my computer.  After installing the OS, I then created the 4 user accounts on the computer just like I had before.  When I went to do my restore, it gave me the option of restoring the user file for 2 of the users (Administrator and Admin), but I wasn't given the option for the other 2 users.  Instead, I had to restore the files to 2 new folders.  Is there a way to restore the files for all 4 users, or to copy the contents of the 2 new folders to these 2 user account?

Friday, December 14, 2007 4:24 PM

Answers

• Sign in as each of the Users and copy the files from the restored locations to their respective User folders in \Documents and Settings\{UserName}

In Vista the location is \Users\{UserName}

I suspect that it was unable to restore to the other User folders due to rights on those User folders.

-steve

Friday, December 14, 2007 5:49 PM

All replies

• Sign in as each of the Users and copy the files from the restored locations to their respective User folders in \Documents and Settings\{UserName}

In Vista the location is \Users\{UserName}

I suspect that it was unable to restore to the other User folders due to rights on those User folders.

-steve

Friday, December 14, 2007 5:49 PM
  • Does the restore copy other files and/or settings besides what's located in the \Documents and Settings\{UserName} folder?  I just want to make sure I get everything back in its proper place just like it was before.  Also, I want to make sure I understand you correctly.  Are you saying to sign in as each user and COPY the files from the new folders rather than initiate another restore?

Thanks for your help!

Friday, December 14, 2007 6:51 PM
  • OneCare backup will only backup the user's files based on the file type selection used for the backup. If you set it to back up all allowed file types, it will backup documents, pictures, email files, etc. It will not backup settings for programs, program files, temp files, and other items that may be found within the profile branch for that User, so therefore, a restore does not put it back to the way it was, it simply restores the data for you.

Yes, since the files are already restored, but to alternate locations, simply copy the files to the \My Documents folder, \My Music, \My Pictures, etc. For email, after setting up the account information - servers, ID and password, etc, use the import function of the email program to import the contacts and messages from the restored mail files in that alternate folder location.

-steve

Saturday, December 15, 2007 2:44 AM