Intel Atom based WHS RRS feed

• General discussion

• I just put together a new WHS for testing Power Pack 1. It's a-

- Intel D945GCLF Mini-ITX , Atom based CPU @ 1.6ghz        $69.00

- 2GB ddr2 667                                                                  $30.00

Using an old case until I can find a nice Mini-ITX

Using a couple of 320gb hd, one ata, one sata. The board will handle 2 sata, 2 pata. There's room for exp with on PCI slot.

Loaded WHS and PP! with no errors. Now the fun starts....

Vince

Saturday, June 21, 2008 5:24 PM

All replies

• I think the Atom is a very appealing platform for WHS.  But I'm waiting for a completely fanless config.  I think the D945GCLF is the first motherboard I've ever seen that has a fan for the chipset but no fan for the CPU.  It's a shame they couldn't put this on a board that doesn't need to be actively cooled.

Have you gotten any power measurements?  What are you using for a case?

Aaron
    Sunday, June 22, 2008 12:32 PM
  •  VSawler wrote:

- Intel D945GCLF Mini-ITX , Atom based CPU @ 1.6ghz        $69.00
    - 2GB ddr2 667                                                                  $30.00

Why would you need 2GB for WHS? Currently running WHS with 2GB too with uTorrent in the back, but never seen usage go above 400MB. So don't see any point in using more than 1GB.

awp0 wrote:
    I think the Atom is a very appealing platform for WHS.  But I'm waiting for a completely fanless config.  I think the D945GCLF is the first motherboard I've ever seen that has a fan for the chipset but no fan for the CPU.  It's a shame they couldn't put this on a board that doesn't need to be actively cooled.

Have you gotten any power measurements?  What are you using for a case?

You can replace the heatsink on the chipset with a fanless one. There are already some for this model on the market.

As for power consuption, it's around 50W AFAIK, due to an older chipset.

Sunday, June 22, 2008 1:44 PM
  • Can you link to other Atom-based MB's that are fanless?  Ive been keeping my eyes open for others, but I thought the Intel one is the only one currently on the market.

50W seems way too high.  Doesn't the CPU use like 1 watt?  That's a shame if true.
    Sunday, June 22, 2008 3:07 PM
  • The problem is which chipset the ATOM is combined with - the below quotes is taken from http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/intel-atom-cpu,review-30931.html

The main problem with the Atom N200 stems from the chipset: Intel offers only variants of the i945. This chipset, already “old” (it dates from 2005), has a major fault: It consumes a lot of power (22 W in the GC version).

Note that Intel also proposes coupling the Atom to an SiS chipset. This solution, already offered in Intel Mini-ITX boards, uses a SiS 671 coupled with a 968, and consumes only 8 W.

But Intel have made a chipset for use in mobile applications (Poulsbo):

The Atom Z500 has a TDP that varies between 0.85 W (for the 800-MHz version without HyperThreading) and 2.64 W (for the 1.86-GHz model with HyperThreading enabled). The SCH consumes approximately 2.3 W in its most evolved version, which brings the SCH + CPU together to under 5 W. By comparison with existing solutions, that’s obviously a big step forward – the Via Nano, for example, is announced at 25 W for the 1.8-GHz version and a Celeron-M ULV at 5 W at 900 MHz.

I am sure that we will see a board with the Poulsbo in the near future...

Personally, I am in the market for a NAS or WHS with RAID; primarily to store my music, pictures and run Squeezecenter.

WHS offers ease of use, but in ex. HPs implementation power consumption is annoyingly high (2 drives): 60 W idle -73 W load.

I have so far seen this Atom based; 29W... which chipset? http://www.tranquilpc-shop.co.uk/acatalog/T2_WHS_A3i.html

/Jan

Sunday, June 22, 2008 3:58 PM
  •  

Here's some info on the power consumption: http://upgraderguides.com/index.php?type=5&id=77&page=8

Haven't seen any other mobos except the one in Eee Box. But its basically the same design and it's not released separately.

Sunday, June 22, 2008 4:00 PM
  • According to Tom's hardware the CPU is under 4w and the 945 chipset is +22w.

I just have it in a mid-tower, I haven't found a ITX case yet. The HP one is nice but, I don't want to buy an HP.
    Antec has some nice small cases, I'm still looking.

Vince
    Sunday, June 22, 2008 4:39 PM
  • The board only has on ram slot and 2GB is the max. The cost difference between 1 & 2 GB was only $10...

Now it's at the max and I don't have to worry about replacing if the need arises.

Vince
    Sunday, June 22, 2008 4:44 PM
  • Sorry to dig up an old thread, I'm wondering how this is working out for you now that you've had it going for a bit. I think my mobo is crapping out on me and I was looking at the Atom board as a way to build a new smaller server.

Did all the drivers install automatically when WHS was installed?

How is the speed? Have you tried streaming any music or dvds?

Do you feel limited by the 100 lan?

Thanks,
    Josh

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 5:25 PM
  • Sorry to dig up an old thread, I'm wondering how this is working out for you now that you've had it going for a bit. I think my mobo is crapping out on me and I was looking at the Atom board as a way to build a new smaller server.

Did all the drivers install automatically when WHS was installed?

How is the speed? Have you tried streaming any music or dvds?

Do you feel limited by the 100 lan?

Thanks,
    Josh

Just digging up an old thread,

Has anyone used this board since this was posted? I would like to know how was the performance especially with the limit of the 100mb network speed. I have been offered one for next to nothing with a case or should I not bother and get the new version with the gigabit network?

Thanks,

• Edited by RidgeRider Sunday, June 14, 2009 10:56 PM typo
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 10:55 PM
  • If you're going to use it for Windows Home Server, spend the extra for gigabit ethernet.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 15, 2009 3:47 PM