Can't find HS RRS feed

• Question

• I had an earlier version of HS, which I managed to connect to the network, but now I am installing the RC version. Console says network is 'healthy' but connector can't find server. I have checked my network modem and it is not showing there either (and it should). I have rebooted both the server and the modem, in the hope that one would detect the other, but that doesn't help. Is it possible some setting on HS is making this invisible to the network?
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:02 PM

Answers

• It's unlikely that it's a setting; it sounds like the WHS isn't even on your network right now. I would check cables first (is everything plugged in? does the router or switch show activity on the WHS port?), then I would check to make sure that NIC drivers were installed, then I would try pinging by IP address from a client.

Let us know what you find, and we should be able to help you resolve this.
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:54 PM

All replies

• It's unlikely that it's a setting; it sounds like the WHS isn't even on your network right now. I would check cables first (is everything plugged in? does the router or switch show activity on the WHS port?), then I would check to make sure that NIC drivers were installed, then I would try pinging by IP address from a client.

Let us know what you find, and we should be able to help you resolve this.
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:54 PM
  • Also, make sure you have the new Connector software on your Client computer and then try using the 'discovery.exe' in x:\Program Files\Windows Home Server, that may help to find your it.

HTH,

Colin

Sunday, July 15, 2007 5:29 PM
  • Thanks. You're right -- the network card wasn't installed (I keep expecting something that sounds as impressive -- and friendly -- as Home Server to do that for me). So I installed it. Still not connected to network tho. On desktop task bar, a small icon indicates the connection is unplugged. I have checked. Unfortunately, it is plugged in, but the error message remains.
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 10:10 PM
  • oh dear. I can't believe this, but the network connection that I thought was running from HS to the router wasn't really plugged in. I apologize. It is now working. (But thanks for reminding me of the network driver, cuz I did need to reinstall that)
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 11:51 AM