Product key is not valid for this media type. Error Code:0x80040509 RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased and installed "Windows XP Home Edition - OEM Software" (in black lettering on the COA sticker) on my HP m380n desktop.  I did this because the original XP Media Center OS had been corrupted and the HP Recovery (on the hard drive) would install the OS such that it would not boot properly.

Upon reboot after the update to Service Pack 3, a window labelled "Windows Product Activation" comes up with the following message.
    "The product key is not valid for this media type. Please use the correct installation CD to reinstall Windows. Error Code:0x80040509."

I reinstalled and have not yet updated with SP3.

I ran the online validation and it completed successfully.

I ran the MGADiag tool.  The Product Key it shows does not match the one from the COA that I entered during installation.  Part of the output is as follows:
    Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY
    Windows Product Key Hash: A6tqZpYlrSkfmUWcaNDswSdRpOo=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-8834005-23639
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: {3EF5FD23-D09D-4756-8B18-4E799E9425FA}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

I ran the Windows Product Key Update Tool.  It warns: "One or more Windows files are modified or corrupted..."  When I proceed and enter the Product Key from the COA, it produces the error message: "The product key entered is not a valid key for this system."

I am ready to return this Windows XP Home SP2 OEM to the seller.  But I'm afraid to buy another copy of Windows XP Home (from a different vendor and for more money) for fear it will behave the same way.

Befuddled,
    -- Lee
    Friday, July 3, 2009 10:45 PM

Answers

• Hello Lee Hall,

Please post the entire unedited output of the mgadiag utility.

Thanx!
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 4:05 AM

All replies

• Hello Lee Hall,

Please post the entire unedited output of the mgadiag utility.

Thanx!
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 4:05 AM
  • Closing this thread as answered.

Lee Hall, please create a new thread, when you are able to provide a full and unedited Diagnostic Report.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

P.S. If you think you were sold Non-Genuine software, then you probably were. I recommend returning the software and, if you are really worried about buying another copy of XP, try the Windows 7 Release Candidate.  It is good till June 1st 2010 and you can download it for free at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx 
    Monday, July 6, 2009 6:34 PM