Deployment of Communicator via Group Policy unsets ALLUSERS property RRS feed

• Question

• For some reason, ALLUSERS gets unset when trying to install Communicator 2007 after publishing it via Group Policy.  Manually running the MSI file on a client machine works, however.
    Friday, July 6, 2007 7:00 PM

Answers

• Maybe it was made this way, install it for everyone and then determine who gets to use by enabling only those you want.

Does that make sense?
    Monday, August 6, 2007 4:51 AM

All replies

•  

Can you explain your question more? I am not sure what property you are asking about.
    Friday, July 27, 2007 5:12 PM
  • I have since given up on the experiment, but if I recall correctly, there is an ALLUSERS property/variable/whatever that is stored in MSI files that determines whether or not an application will be installed for all users or just for the current user running the installer.  Office Communicator requires that it be installed for all users, so no option to select between installing for all users or just the current user exists when running the install program.  For whatever reason, however, when attempting to install Communicator after it has been added to the 'Add New Programs' list in Add/Remove Programs (via Group Policy), it attempts to install for the current user only.  This causes the installation to fail, since the application must be installed for all users.

Friday, August 3, 2007 5:31 PM
  • Maybe it was made this way, install it for everyone and then determine who gets to use by enabling only those you want.

Does that make sense?
    Monday, August 6, 2007 4:51 AM