Can't upgrade client connector RRS feed

• Question

• System working perfectly since SP1 was installed. Server issues client a message that a connector upgrade is available. Upgrade fails. Error message states that one of the files contains a virus and another file won't open.

This happened with two clients. One still works, but the other one lost its connector software which can't be re-installed.

There are several FAQs dealing with client problems but they don't seem to apply.

AVG V8.5 anti-virus software in use
    Only trusted sites are available.

Any thoughts,

Richard

Richard
    Monday, March 30, 2009 3:30 PM

Answers

• Problem solved:

I deleted the Windows home Server folder on the non-working client.

Copied the Connector software off the Home Server using a good client.

Ran the copied connector software from the server on the failed client.

Hopefully the other computers won't have to go through this process.
    Richard
    • Marked as answer by k0rww Monday, March 30, 2009 8:01 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2009 8:01 PM

All replies

• System working perfectly since SP1 was installed. Server issues client a message that a connector upgrade is available. Upgrade fails. Error message states that one of the files contains a virus and another file won't open.

Have you tried turning off your antivirus, then installing the connector? If on Vista, have you tried running the connector installer with elevated privileges?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 30, 2009 3:33 PM
  • No the issue is more complex than that. Tried all of these things. 

All seems to point to the fact the update does not update the source connector files on the server correctly. And since MS won't let us download the connector and a re-install of the PP2 does the same I'm still dead in the water. If anybody likes that share his working copy of the PP2 connector software I would be very grateful.

Mathijs

mathijs
    Monday, March 30, 2009 4:27 PM
  • Funny, just had another useless answer on Connect, but still I had to laugh. I asked why the PP2 connector software tells me it is the PP1 version and they gave me this as reply:

The EULA will indicate Power Pack 1 and this is correct."

mathijs
    Monday, March 30, 2009 4:37 PM
  • Yes, I think it's humorous too. But Microsoft intentionally chose not to update the EULA for the connector in Power Pack 2, so technically it is correct that it's wrong. :P

Regarding your issue, there is a batch file on your server that will copy the connector files to the proper location: C:\WHS\ConnectorInstallAssistant.cmd. Though this should be unnecessary; I have never had a problem with an update failing to install the correct version of the connector in the shares.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 30, 2009 4:56 PM
  • Funny, just had another useless answer on Connect, but still I had to laugh. I asked why the PP2 connector software tells me it is the PP1 version and they gave me this as reply:

The EULA will indicate Power Pack 1 and this is correct."

mathijs

The EULA is indicating Power Pack 1; however, what are the version numbers on the files? If they are 2030, then you have the correct version. 
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, March 30, 2009 6:24 PM
  • Problem solved:

I deleted the Windows home Server folder on the non-working client.

Copied the Connector software off the Home Server using a good client.

Ran the copied connector software from the server on the failed client.

Hopefully the other computers won't have to go through this process.
    Richard
    • Marked as answer by k0rww Monday, March 30, 2009 8:01 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2009 8:01 PM