Barcode printing in CRM Online 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a FetchXML report for CRM Online and I have an ID field that is converted to a barcode using Barcode 39. When I run the report from CRM Online it shows the barcode in the report but when I print it, it comes out as plain text.

I have no idea what the issue is. The barcode is installed on my machine. When I export the report to Words it prints fine but when I print it from CRM it comes out as plain text.

Any help guys?

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 7:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There are a couple of differences on how the reports being rendered as HTML and being printed in CRM 2011 reports. If your printed reports are different than what you see in CRM, first of all check the width of the columns to be in the printable area. If its width would be more than the printable area, your print could be terrible. If this does not help you, let me know to provide other solutions.

Persian Dynamics CRM Community | انجمن متخصصان فارسی زبان

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 8:08 PM
  • Hi Payman,

The issue is not the printable area I suppose. In CRM Online 2013, when i preview the report it shows me the barcode with other required fields in the report...Great!...But when I print the report from CRM the barcode comes out as plain text and NOT as a barcode. This is the only issue. 

Can CRM Online even print barcodes?

Thursday, June 5, 2014 7:26 AM
  • To test if it is the printable area issue or not, create a report with only one column and put the barcode in it. Do not use a width more than 300px for it. Then print it to see what happens.

Thursday, June 5, 2014 7:30 AM
  • Still the same. here are some images for you. Report in CRM Report after the print

The first one is the report in CRM and the second is after the print. 

• Edited by Hamzak Thursday, June 5, 2014 7:43 AM
    Thursday, June 5, 2014 7:42 AM
  • So, this implies that the issue is related to the barcode fonts. In order to print barcodes, you should install barcode as a font type. You could search for free or priced fonts as well. Then, use the installed barcode font in your report designer for the barcode column. It should resolve your issue.

Edit: and about the online CRM I have no idea how you can install a barcode font. My solution is for on-premise.

Thursday, June 5, 2014 7:49 AM
  • I am doing exactly that Payman. That is why I am able to print a barcode in my report in first place. I am using Fetch XML to create a report in BIDS. Its only when the barcode is printed from CRM that it comes out as plain text. Its driving me mad. 
    Thursday, June 5, 2014 7:56 AM
  • Did you try to install the barcode fonts on your client also?

Thursday, June 5, 2014 8:00 AM
  • I am trying to print the report from my machine where I am also building the report. The free font Code39 is installed here. And since this is CRM Online, we don't have to worry about installing the font on the SSRS server or CRM server.
    have you ever tried to print a barcode from CRM Online before?
    Thursday, June 5, 2014 8:03 AM
  • The answer is NO! I have tested the barcode printing on the on-premise version, so now I have no idea how you could solve the issue.

Thursday, June 5, 2014 8:07 AM
  • Hahaha I have tested it on On-Premise as well and it works great there. What I do on On-premise is convert the barcode to an image through custom code, but you can't use custom code in CRM Online reporting so Sigh!!!

Thanks for your help Payman. 

Thursday, June 5, 2014 8:11 AM