How to change a backup plan? - how to exclude certain file types in your backup plan? RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed version 2, and the backup features puzzle me. Having two internal harddrives, the initial baclup plan generated by WLOC suggested a backup plan for app. 16GB (this because drive II contains compressed Norton Ghost image files of the system drive. I have tried to find a way for WLOC to exclude this file types or specific folders, but I simply can't (?) The help does not seems to give any directions on this.

In the same channel of questions, that arise when doing the initial investigation of version 2, is questions like.

1. How to change a backup plan for all pc's in the circle ? (I simply cant get it - how diffrent pc's in the same circle can write to the same network location, whithout overwriting each others files?)

2. How to change the network backup location for the backup plan when first created ?

3. Excluding or adding certain files and folders seems not an option.

Thanks,

Anders

Monday, December 3, 2007 5:54 PM

Answers

• Hello, Anders.

Yes, you can exclude a folder to be checked for backup. You can't exclude a specific extension and I would expect that the Ghost files are being included in the "Other" category.

After backup scans for files to backup and presents you with the list of types and the check boxes, there is a link below that frame that says, "Exclude certain files and folders." That should get you going.

1. If you choose to configure centralized backup, each PC has a unique name to OneCare and the backups will reside in their own folder of the Share.

2. For Central or a single PC it is sort of the same - highlight the single PC in the left and then click the button to Change Settings.

3. Adding is not an option. Excluding is.

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 7:32 PM

All replies

• Hello, Anders.

Yes, you can exclude a folder to be checked for backup. You can't exclude a specific extension and I would expect that the Ghost files are being included in the "Other" category.

After backup scans for files to backup and presents you with the list of types and the check boxes, there is a link below that frame that says, "Exclude certain files and folders." That should get you going.

1. If you choose to configure centralized backup, each PC has a unique name to OneCare and the backups will reside in their own folder of the Share.

2. For Central or a single PC it is sort of the same - highlight the single PC in the left and then click the button to Change Settings.

3. Adding is not an option. Excluding is.

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 7:32 PM
  • Thanks Steve.

I will check when I come home.

BTW: Is it possible to delete a backup plan and the create a new? - I have been looking for a way to do this, but no luck so far. The user cannot be stuck with a backup plan forever - it must be possible to create a new and delete the old(?)

One last question: Is there a printable manual for version 2 (users guide - or similar?)

All the best,

Anders

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 9:28 AM
  • No deletion - you can change the plan or disable backup on that PC. In essence, changing the plan is like creating a new and deleting the old plan.

No printable manual. There is good online help for many topics, though.

-steve

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 6:46 PM
  • I, too, found the new backup plan thingy a bit confusing.  I eventually got it figured out; but, I had to look and look before I realized that I needed to hit an extra button to highlight my own computer to exclude files and/or folders.  Then, it only gives me a raw tree of my system--no convenient links to My Documents or My Music or that sort of thing; so, in order to exclude from the backup a whole bunch of incomplete torrent downloads I don't want backed up, I had to go searching for My Documents in the Documents and Settings folder. <---that's just an example.  In the old version of OC, it was easy to find.

Of course, it's always annoying, when upgrading to a new version of something, to have all your preferences whiped out.  The new version should have been able to preserve my backup and virus scan exclusions without me having to set them again.

I also think it would have been better, during the initial setup of the new version, to have an option to completely opt out of any consideration of the "circle" thing, so that options for multiple computers are not displayed.  That would have made my time easier.

So, there.   

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 6:35 AM
  • I always appreciate your comments, Balt.

When you go through that initial configure wizard at update, it sort of does let you ignore Circles by answering to *not* make the PC a hub. However, then the backup plan still presents the whole centralized backup option anyway, I think.

-steve

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 6:31 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:
    I always appreciate your comments, Balt.

An update without a Balt comment is like a day without orange juice, I always say. 

Thursday, December 6, 2007 2:19 PM