SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services problem - "Customizing security roles" is not supported in this edition of Reporting Services RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am tring to install CRM 4.0 on SQL server 2008, but in the environment check it stops on the reporting services.

The full context of the exception is:

Unhandled Exception: Microsoft.Crm.CrmReportingException: The feature: "Customiz
    ing security roles" is not supported in this edition of Reporting Services. --->
     System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: System.Web.Services.Protocols.Soap
    Exception: The feature: "Customizing security roles" is not supported in this ed
    ition of Reporting Services. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilit
    ies.OperationNotSupportedException: The feature: "Customizing security roles" is
     not supported in this edition of Reporting Services.
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.ReportingService2005Impl.CreateRole(
    String Name, String Description, Task[] Tasks)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.ReportingService2005.CreateRole(Stri
    ng Name, String Description, Task[] Tasks)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClie
    ntMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCal
    l)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodN
    ame, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.Crm.ReportingServices2005.ReportingService2005.CreateRole(String
     Name, String Description, Task[] Tasks)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Reporting.ReportServer.createCrmBrowserRole()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Crm.Reporting.ReportServer.createCrmBrowserRole()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Reporting.ReportServer.configureServer(Boolean validateOnly)

at Microsoft.Crm.Reporting.ReportServer.validateServer()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.Utility.ReportsUtility.ConfigureReports(Uri rep
    ortingUrl, String organizationName, Boolean grantNetworkService)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Reporting.Publish.PublishReports.Main(String[] args)

There is a simliar problem on SQL Server 2005 WorkGroup Edition, ref this KB

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/935922

I am trying to install on Windows Server 2008 Enterprice and SQL server 2008 Standard.

Thursday, December 25, 2008 9:35 PM

Answers

• The reason the error refers to SQL 2005 is that CRM 4.0 was written to use the SQL 2005 Reporting Services web services endpoint. As SQL 2008 Supports the SQL 2005 Reporting Services web services endpoint, there was no reason for Microsoft to rewrite the code to use the SQL 2008 Reporting Services web services endpoint

Friday, January 2, 2009 5:26 PM
  • Thank for your reply.

I did a double check of the version of SQL server 2008 I installed, it seem to be the WEB-edition. Intalling the Enterprice edtion solved the problem

Friday, January 2, 2009 6:02 PM

All replies

• Sounds like the same problem that was found in SQL 2005.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935922

Question: is the 2008 SQL server upgraded from 2005?

IF So, Has the Database version been changed?

Sunday, December 28, 2008 10:02 PM
  • Hi
    I have the same problem while installing crm4.I have the patch for sql 2008 but I don't have the patch for sql 2005.
    It's about 155 Mb it's hard to download the file.
    I wanna know while I have a clean install with windows 2003 server and sql 2008  why the setup errors for sql 2005?
    TANX
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 12:32 PM
  • The reason the error refers to SQL 2005 is that CRM 4.0 was written to use the SQL 2005 Reporting Services web services endpoint. As SQL 2008 Supports the SQL 2005 Reporting Services web services endpoint, there was no reason for Microsoft to rewrite the code to use the SQL 2008 Reporting Services web services endpoint

Friday, January 2, 2009 5:26 PM
  • Thank for your reply.

I did a double check of the version of SQL server 2008 I installed, it seem to be the WEB-edition. Intalling the Enterprice edtion solved the problem

Friday, January 2, 2009 6:02 PM
  • I also solved the problem in another easy but more expensive way.
    I buy the enterprise CRM version which was supported by a code from microsoft.
    In enterprise CRM there was no error while installing the server.
    TANX

Saturday, January 3, 2009 8:58 AM
  • I also solved the problem in another easy but more expensive way.
    I buy the enterprise CRM version which was supported by a code from microsoft.
    In enterprise CRM there was no error while installing the server.
    TANX

Hi

i have margin problem in sql reports 2008,  i have updated 2008 form sql 2005, after upgraded sql 2008 , i got margin problem,

i changed margin setting but doesnot change.

please some one help me how to change reports

thanks

selva

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 2:28 PM
  • can you start a new thread for this as it appears  to be a different problem.  Also, please provide a little more detail so people can help.

Thank you

Best Regards | Twitter: edwardsdna
    Friday, April 9, 2010 12:58 PM