Will a Dynamic Raid 5 Configuration Rebuild if I reinstall the operating system? RRS feed

• Question

• Recently I have discovered that Windows Updates are failing on My WHS 2011 system.

When I try to update it fails (ERROR 8007370D). I have rolled back and restored to 3 different points throughout the past year and none of them restores or fixes the windows updates issues. As I am unable to find updates to manually install, I am at a loss as to how to restore Windows Updates - any help would be much appreciated. I have tried their Fixit program - [ http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/ ]http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/ - WIndows Updates Errors are found (and it says it fixes) but it doesn't stick. I tries the System Readiness but they say they are incompatible. It also says that the location for Windows Updates has moved but doesn't seem to offer a fix.

On top of all of this - all update history has vanished (very confusing). I am running a RAID 5 multi 3TB drive install and a reinstallation kindof scares me at this point.

I am running 5 3TB drives in A Dynamic Raid 5 configuration. Everything works perfect and is healthy - only the failing Windows Updates is the issue.

If I pull the shared drives out and reintall the OS to the main drive, will the RAID be rebuilt automatically when I reinstall the drives or will I have to set them up once again in the OS?

I am really worried about losing data or corrupting the Raid.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

Monday, January 14, 2013 3:57 PM

Answers

• I can't promise anything, but in my experience dynamic disk arrays (the ones you can create in Disk Manager) can be successfully migrated from one system to another, assuming similar hardware configuration.  You probably will find the entire array is marked as a "foreign" disk initially, and you must "import" it to get it to mount after the reinstall, however.  That said, I've done this only with RAID 0 and RAID 1 arrays, not with RAID 5.  I think you can find more information about this via Bing.

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Friday, January 25, 2013 2:55 AM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:56 AM