Best way to replace Hard Drives RRS feed

• Question

• I have two 250gb hard drives and all is working well, but I need to replace them with two new 360mb drives and I don't want to lose my data.  Is there a way to transfer the data to the new drives and them remove the old drives. Thanks in advance.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 12:04 AM

Answers

• The easiest thing to do would be to shut down your server, remove both drives currently in it, replace them with the new larger drives, and reinstall Windows Home Server. Then reinstall the older drives, but don't add them to the storage pool. Copy all the files in <driveletter>:/DE/Shares/etc. to the shares in the storage pool. If you have an urgent need to preserve your backups, you can probably do so following the instructions in the Home Computer Backup technical brief. Finally, add the old smaller drives to the storage pool if you like.
    Saturday, January 12, 2008 1:49 AM
  • If you are going to use another type of controller, then I wouldn't attempt disk imaging - particularly if you have any important data stored - as it's possible you could need additional drivers for that card.

A new installation would be a better route, using your new drives, then transferring the stored data off the 'old' drives which could well then be utilised as additional storage.

Colin

Saturday, January 12, 2008 4:38 PM

All replies

• The easiest thing to do would be to shut down your server, remove both drives currently in it, replace them with the new larger drives, and reinstall Windows Home Server. Then reinstall the older drives, but don't add them to the storage pool. Copy all the files in <driveletter>:/DE/Shares/etc. to the shares in the storage pool. If you have an urgent need to preserve your backups, you can probably do so following the instructions in the Home Computer Backup technical brief. Finally, add the old smaller drives to the storage pool if you like.
    Saturday, January 12, 2008 1:49 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    The easiest thing to do would be to shut down your server, remove both drives currently in it, replace them with the new larger drives, and reinstall Windows Home Server. Then reinstall the older drives, but don't add them to the storage pool. Copy all the files in <driveletter>:/DE/Shares/etc. to the shares in the storage pool. If you have an urgent need to preserve your backups, you can probably do so following the instructions in the Home Computer Backup technical brief. Finally, add the old smaller drives to the storage pool if you like.

I'm a bit confused.  Other than the issue of "physical drive connections" why would you not add the new drives to the pool FIRST, then "remove" the old drives.  That should allow WHS to move all of the data off the drive being removed, theoretically onto the new drive. 

To be honest, I tried this (it is supposed to work) but it did not work.  It always failed with an error message "unable to finish copying drive" or some such, and the drive was never removed from the storage pool. 

In THEORY it should work though, right?
    Saturday, January 12, 2008 3:20 AM
  • I interpreted the OP as saying that he has only two drives installed now, both 250 GB. One of those drives will be his system drive, so he will have to reinstall WHS no matter what if he wants to replace both drives. If he only wants more space in his storage pool, he can add the new drives without removing the old drives. WHS will happily consume the extra space. Smile
    Saturday, January 12, 2008 4:13 AM
  • My goal here is to remove the two 250gb ide drive and replace them with two 320gb sata drives I will have to add a controller card. I was hoping to use imaging software to make an image of the two drives and then move the image to the new drives and start up WHS and go. Will this not work.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 5:12 AM
  • If you are going to use another type of controller, then I wouldn't attempt disk imaging - particularly if you have any important data stored - as it's possible you could need additional drivers for that card.

A new installation would be a better route, using your new drives, then transferring the stored data off the 'old' drives which could well then be utilised as additional storage.

Colin

Saturday, January 12, 2008 4:38 PM