Looking for compatible printers for Windows Home Server, Windows XP Pro, and Windows 7 Ultimate RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there everyone,
        I'm trying to make my home server into the centralized print server for my house.  I realize that it's not supported (nor designed), but I also realize that others have probably done this.  So my question (and hopefully this can become a sticky for people) is this.  What printers are compatible with Windows XP, Windows Home Server, and Windows 7?  The main requirement is that I will be installing the printer on Windows Home Server, so I guess I mean what printers will have compatible drivers for the other two operating systems?

I'm looking for the lower-end consumer printers--not the expensive laser printers and commercial grade ones.  But, please list any that you know of.  Because even if I can't get the printer, someone else may be able to.

Thanks, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 7:26 AM

All replies

• You can turn virtually any printer into a network printer for around 45 to 75 dollars with a print server or you can buy an inexpensive monochrome network laser printer online for about 130 (or less if you searched) dollars at NewEgg and a million other places, I'm sure.

I can see the appeal of using WHS as a print server, but with a network printer it has it's own internal print server and laser printers aren't always as expensive as you might think. If you go the other way make sure the printer comes with all of the needed drivers and prepare to troubleshoot. It might work perfectly the first time or it might be a pain. I'd go with the network printer, personally.

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 8:08 AM
  • Inexpensive consumer printers almost universally use a GDI based print engine; they're sometimes also referred to as "Win printers". What this means is that the printer driver (on your computer) does the work of rendering, and the printer simply accepts and spits out a bit stream onto the paper. These printers are a very bad choice for sharing from a central computer, and these forums are full of people who have had trouble with them.

SME has suggested an inexpensive network printer; I agree with him. If you want an inexpensive printer accessible from the network, use one designed for the task. It will still be a Win printer, but it will be designed to accommodate multi-user and network scenarios.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:12 PM