So need some help here. RRS feed

• Question

• Heres what Ive done, Built a new box, really high specks, but heres the basics
    quad core, tons of ram, awesome video card, 320gb hdd

Installed win 7 , Installed Vmware server, then installed WHS (100gb virtual drive), all works fine

Heres the question, All the other hard drives I have are in my other WHS already in the pool, I need to get those disks out, so i can put them in the new box, but I also need the data from them, I have limeted space available at the moment on my virtual whs, I do also have a 160 gb hdd, how do I get the data off the disks in whs one by one and get the data off each disk first? Since they are in a pool I dont know what data is on each disk or how to accomplish this, there is an option in whs console to remove disk, if I choose that , what will happen, is the data retrievable off a single disk in another computer, or does whs work like raid 0 where it could put half of a file on on hdd and the other half on another.

I know one option is to purchase a 1tb hdd and just transfer everything to it, but I wont have the money for one until friday, so I would like to start doing it with what I have now if possible

I know what im doing is unsupported (ken) but Im willing to take the risk, any help would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks,
    James
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 3:21 PM

All replies

• (Ken laughs) That's unsupported!

Unsupported doesn't mean "doesn't work" and it doesn't mean "your server will go belly up". It doesn't guarantee data loss, or reinstallation woes. It means that you're doing something not anticipated in the product, you're taking a risk which could possibly be significant, and you may be moving in a direction which will make recovery difficult. It's your choice, and if you make the wrong one, it's an expensive choice. But it's not a guarantee of doom and gloom. 

That said... This is unsupported, but it will work just fine. Give your new server a new disk. Make it at least as big as the largest disk in the storage pool in your old server. Turn off duplication. Now connect that largest old disk to another computer and copy everything in/under the (hidden) folder <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc. into appropriate shares on your new server. Wipe the disk, connect it to your new server, and add it to the storage pool. Lather, rinse, repeat. You could connect the disk directly to your server, and usually that's harmless, but to be safe you can copy all that data (terabytes! Oh my!) across your network. If you leave duplication turned on for any shares in your old server, you'll have two copies of those files. Go ahead and overwrite everything; the two copies should be identical.

Once everything is copied, and all the disks are part of the new server, turn duplication back on as needed.

Note: it's very important that you not connect the old system disk to your new server directly, until after you've cleaned all partitions off of it.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:13 PM
  • Thanks Ken,

I'm hoping to avoid the whole belly up thing,  Im going to prevent this a few ways, first Norton online backup to backup my pics/music/videos, all i really care about, 2nd is a 1tb external set to backup weekly all contents of my shares. lastly Acronis image the primary (sys) hdd in the event it should...
    should" alow me to re-image the main drive. "Hypothetically"
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:48 AM
    lastly Acronis image the primary (sys) hdd in the event it should...
    should" alow me to re-image the main drive. "Hypothetically"
    The restore will, in all probability, result in serious storage issues with your server, followed if you're lucky by a server reinstallation. If you're not lucky, you'll lose some or all of the data on your server (really pretty unlikely, but it's a potential outcome).

Bottom line: don't do it; the system partition (and indeed the whole drive) is designed to be sacrificial.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 7:10 PM