WHS - Reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• Just a quick question.

I'm getting blue screens right now for acpitabl.dat, so my WHS is no longer booting up. Not sure why.

Easy enough to reinstall, done it before upgrading the system dirve without issues.

At this time my system drive is the largest"

1.5TB SYS/DATA

1TB - DATA

500G - DATA

What I'm concerened about are the shares that aren't duplicated. If I reinstall, will my 1.5TB sys drive be completely reformatted/partitioned? Since it's the largest there are likely files on it that are from the non-duplicated shares.

I don't want to run the reinstall and lose the data. If it will reformat then I would probably be better off getting a new drive for system and have the reinstall find the data on the old system.

D

Saturday, March 27, 2010 3:10 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the response,

I'm pretty sure it's not a drive issue. I had I recently upgraded to this new system (MB/CPU/RAM) and added the 1.5TB as the system drive. I did have a problem with one of the drives after the upgrade (last week), and it has since been removed. I was getting issues before the blue screens, and at that time had run checkdisk on all the drives, identifying the one bad 1TB which is being RMA'd now.

I'm thinking the issue is related to a BIOS update after reinstalling to the new system.

What I'm really trying to understand is how the 1.5TB drive will be treated during the reinstall. Will the installer see that it is already partitioned for System/Data and just reformat the System partition and reinstall there or will it repartition the drive from scratch and blow away the data partition.

The FAQ you mention above doesn't go into that detail. So I need something that's explains it better. Some kind of technical document maybe from Microsoft?

Thanks,

D

Server Reinstallation only formats the 20 GB OS partition.
    • Marked as answer by dwonn Saturday, March 27, 2010 8:43 PM
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 8:32 PM

All replies

• First, pull each of the drives out of your server one at a time, connect them to some other computer, and run chkdsk /r . Assuming they check out okay (no errors reported) read this FAQ , which discusses briefly the reinstallation process.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 1:07 PM

I'm pretty sure it's not a drive issue. I had I recently upgraded to this new system (MB/CPU/RAM) and added the 1.5TB as the system drive. I did have a problem with one of the drives after the upgrade (last week), and it has since been removed. I was getting issues before the blue screens, and at that time had run checkdisk on all the drives, identifying the one bad 1TB which is being RMA'd now.

I'm thinking the issue is related to a BIOS update after reinstalling to the new system.

What I'm really trying to understand is how the 1.5TB drive will be treated during the reinstall. Will the installer see that it is already partitioned for System/Data and just reformat the System partition and reinstall there or will it repartition the drive from scratch and blow away the data partition.

The FAQ you mention above doesn't go into that detail. So I need something that's explains it better. Some kind of technical document maybe from Microsoft?

Thanks,

D

Saturday, March 27, 2010 7:49 PM

Thanks,

D

Server Reinstallation only formats the 20 GB OS partition.
    • Marked as answer by dwonn Saturday, March 27, 2010 8:43 PM
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 8:32 PM
  • Excellent, thanks for clarifying.
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 8:43 PM

Actually, it does. Second paragraph, second sentence.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 2:49 AM
  • Yes your right.  I see it now. That sentence didn't stand out for me, when I read it initially, as answering my question.

Thanks again.

Sunday, March 28, 2010 5:09 PM