Why Duo core and not higher Processor Speed??? RRS feed

• Question

• Well this is a peice of Information my Sir told me and i m sharing it with all of u...

We have all heard of Duo Core, Quad Core... but wat was the need of it??? We could have increased the processor speed.. like the highest is 3.6 it cud have beed 7.2 but y the need of Duo core instead???

The answer was given by my sir.. As we see that with the increase in the processor speed there is a increase in power consumption... with the projected relation graph it was seen that by 2010 the power consumtion wud reach 1000 watts... So the main concern have shifted from increasing processor speed to reducing power consumption...

Now how does Duo core or Quad core allow this??

its like putting different switch in one socket... so what they did was simple.. they just put double processor in one switch to reduce the power requirement... this is how we achieved higher processor speed with comaratively less power consumption...

Another piece of information,, IBM is testing 8 processor in one chip.. They have it in Sony Playstation but now they are testing it for Personal Computers also.. lets see what we get in the future...

I welcome any comments and replies...

Friday, March 9, 2007 3:36 AM

Answers

• that's a good information. but yet another information to share.

on dual core, the two cycles run for executing the instructions parallely, which is not the case in single core. this increases the speed up. thatr's why dual core is better than having 2 CPUs as it results in less power concumption.

Friday, March 9, 2007 5:07 AM