Backup drive? RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to find this backup to external HD feature.  I was unable to find it.  Perhaps I'm misunderstanding this item.  I see that there's an option to backup to Amazon, but I don't want an online backup.

So can I backup the server to a local HD?  If so, how?

Thanks!
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 3:59 AM

Answers

• You will need Power Pack 1 installed. Assuming that:
    • Connect a new hard drive, preferably external.
    • Start the console. Go to the Server storage tab.
    • In the console choose to Add the drive.
    • You'll be asked whether you want to add it to server storage, or as a backup drive. Choose backup derive.
    • On the Computers & Backup tab, your server is listed. Right click and select Backup now . Configure the backup parameters (which shares you're backing up) and save if you like. Then start the backup.
    • A while later, the backup will complete. Go back to the Server storage tab.
    • Right click the backup drive and select Remove . You'll have the option of removing it temporarily or permanently. Unless you plan to re-use the drive for something else, I'd choose temporary removal, because when you reconnect the drive at a later date, it will automatically be recognized as a backup drive and added back in.
    • Once the drive has been removed, you can disconnect it, assuming it's a hot pluggable type of connection.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:08 AM

All replies

• You will need Power Pack 1 installed. Assuming that:
    • Connect a new hard drive, preferably external.
    • Start the console. Go to the Server storage tab.
    • In the console choose to Add the drive.
    • You'll be asked whether you want to add it to server storage, or as a backup drive. Choose backup derive.
    • On the Computers & Backup tab, your server is listed. Right click and select Backup now . Configure the backup parameters (which shares you're backing up) and save if you like. Then start the backup.
    • A while later, the backup will complete. Go back to the Server storage tab.
    • Right click the backup drive and select Remove . You'll have the option of removing it temporarily or permanently. Unless you plan to re-use the drive for something else, I'd choose temporary removal, because when you reconnect the drive at a later date, it will automatically be recognized as a backup drive and added back in.
    • Once the drive has been removed, you can disconnect it, assuming it's a hot pluggable type of connection.

Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:08 AM
  • Ken,

What I'm seeing is that this backup feature only backs up files.  It doesn't back up the backups that are made from the connected computers.  Am I missing something?

If I'm correct, then it seems that disk imaging software would still be recommended.  If you lose your WHS, you lose your individual computer backups, unless you backed them up to a folder which then would get backed up.

I used the phrase "backed up" too many times.  Hope it makes sense.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 4:33 AM
  • You're not missing anything; the backup feature only backs up the shares.

Per the Windows Home Server design, the individual computer backups are essentially disposable. You can recreate them from the computers that have been backed up if something happens to the backup database.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 4:51 PM
  • You're not missing anything; the backup feature only backs up the shares.

Ken -

If only shares, does that imply it doesn't b/u the drive I have the WHS OS installed to?

Is there any conversation about an enhancement to allow user to pick and choose what shares, or, in what order of priority, shares are backed up in?

My b/u device consists of the 4 500gb drives I removed in favor of 4 1tb drives, so obviously I can't b/u everything.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 6:11 PM
    If only shares, does that imply it doesn't b/u the drive I have the WHS OS installed to?

Is there any conversation about an enhancement to allow user to pick and choose what shares, or, in what order of priority, shares are backed up in?
    That's correct. There has never been a mechanism to back up the system drive; in a standard Windows Home Server installation everything on that drive is either fungible or discardable.

As for picking and choosing what shares to back up, it's in the help, I'm pretty sure. :)

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 6:48 PM