High avilability 99.99% for Dynamics CRM enviornment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts,

i need your suggestion. to build XRM system with high avilability 99.99% how many servers require for global rollout? including sharepoint and mobile implementation with user base 2500 and concurrent user base is 250.

Thanks

VenkataP
    Friday, July 16, 2010 2:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It is impossible to say 'how many servers' you should deploy to operate such an environment. Too many unknowns. I bet I could install a 2-machine environment (virtualized) that moreoreless would be highly available in your scenario. But it my turn out that you need more than 5 machines.

1. Youd said it's a global environment - how would you guarantee HA for users in let's say China when the servers are e.g. in Warsaw (what kind of connection?).
    2. As far as I know SharePoint would require pleny of services for 2500 users so that it runs smoothly...
    3. How would you like to perform the backups, so that in case of any failures you could bring up your envronment
    4. ...

There are so many questions that need to be addressed before one can answer that question, and I don't think we can answer them here. Talk to the customer, to their IT, ask about their WAN, current architecture and so on.

If you want to have a reference on what hardware could be needed for CRM for such a deployment to provide High Availablity, please consult the document freom here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3bf7ecda-7eaf-4f1c-bbfe-cae19bc8bb78&displaylang=en

I hope that helps,

Jakub

-- Kuba Skałbania, Netwise
    Friday, July 16, 2010 3:39 PM
  • Hi Venkata, like Jakub says, there are too many unknowns. It's also not a great idea to build a business critical architecture based on some feedback you got on a public forum (even though Jakub is really smart, and an MVP!). You might want to engage Microsoft Consulting Services who can design your deployment or cerify your proposed design -- this comes with some reassurance that the vendor has analysed your infrastructure.

Or you might want to consider having the whole infrastructure hosted by an experiencing hosting service provider. If designing, deploying and running a high-availability infrastructure is not your core business or your customer's core business -- why not trust it to someone whose expertise is in hosting?

Regards, Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter.

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:11 PM
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 12:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It is impossible to say 'how many servers' you should deploy to operate such an environment. Too many unknowns. I bet I could install a 2-machine environment (virtualized) that moreoreless would be highly available in your scenario. But it my turn out that you need more than 5 machines.

1. Youd said it's a global environment - how would you guarantee HA for users in let's say China when the servers are e.g. in Warsaw (what kind of connection?).
    2. As far as I know SharePoint would require pleny of services for 2500 users so that it runs smoothly...
    3. How would you like to perform the backups, so that in case of any failures you could bring up your envronment
    4. ...

There are so many questions that need to be addressed before one can answer that question, and I don't think we can answer them here. Talk to the customer, to their IT, ask about their WAN, current architecture and so on.

If you want to have a reference on what hardware could be needed for CRM for such a deployment to provide High Availablity, please consult the document freom here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3bf7ecda-7eaf-4f1c-bbfe-cae19bc8bb78&displaylang=en

I hope that helps,

Jakub

-- Kuba Skałbania, Netwise
    Friday, July 16, 2010 3:39 PM
  • Hi Venkata, like Jakub says, there are too many unknowns. It's also not a great idea to build a business critical architecture based on some feedback you got on a public forum (even though Jakub is really smart, and an MVP!). You might want to engage Microsoft Consulting Services who can design your deployment or cerify your proposed design -- this comes with some reassurance that the vendor has analysed your infrastructure.

Or you might want to consider having the whole infrastructure hosted by an experiencing hosting service provider. If designing, deploying and running a high-availability infrastructure is not your core business or your customer's core business -- why not trust it to someone whose expertise is in hosting?

Regards, Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter.

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:11 PM
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 12:12 PM