How to manage 2 WHS servers on one network RRS feed

• Question

• I bought an EX470 HP media smart server and used it as back up for 4 computers on my home network and data repository.  I bought a second one to act as my ITUNES repository but because of the way the security functions, I can only log onto one of the servers when they are on the same network.  I have been running them on two separate nets but then they can not see each other.  I want to be able to run both on the same network and have them back up some folders automatically so I dont have to keep doing it manually.

Does anyone know how I can have both on the same ethernet and be able to log on to either WHS to manage them?

Currently I move one server to a separate network manually to log onto it but there really ought to be a way to get around this problem.

HP tech support was not helpful at all.  They said that they don't support more than one server on a single network.

Thanks

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 3:31 PM

Answers

• Any individual home computer can only be "joined" to one WHS machine. Also, by default your HP servers will both be called (have the machine name) HPSERVER, which is not permitted (only one machine can have a given machine name). In addition, because of the way Remote Access works (the Remote Desktop proxy is locked to port 4125 and can't be changed) you will only be able to have one functional Remote Access web site.

I have had two servers running successfully (one was not an HP server), though at the moment I've got the second (dev/test) machine shut down. They each have joined clients, which can back up to their respective servers. The way I achieved this was by giving each server it's own name, and shutting down the other server while initially joining computers to a server (inevitably they would pick the wrong server <sigh>).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:39 PM

All replies

• Any individual home computer can only be "joined" to one WHS machine. Also, by default your HP servers will both be called (have the machine name) HPSERVER, which is not permitted (only one machine can have a given machine name). In addition, because of the way Remote Access works (the Remote Desktop proxy is locked to port 4125 and can't be changed) you will only be able to have one functional Remote Access web site.

I have had two servers running successfully (one was not an HP server), though at the moment I've got the second (dev/test) machine shut down. They each have joined clients, which can back up to their respective servers. The way I achieved this was by giving each server it's own name, and shutting down the other server while initially joining computers to a server (inevitably they would pick the wrong server <sigh>).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:39 PM
  • Hi Rob,
    if you can rename one server, while the second is down, integrating should work.
    You can either use the console from an client, which is connected to that server explicitely or you use a Remote Desktop session to the second server using account name Administrator and the console password (unsupported) to run the console locally on the desktop. If you use identical accounts and passwords, the difficulties are limited to Remote Access, as Ken already mentioned.
    I don't know, if the HP specific services and apps have additional limitations.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 10:54 AM