Constant Rebooting - loop RRS feed

• Question

• hi all,

I have had WHS running happily for a few months now on a home built server (Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 ATX, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+, Seagate ST3500630AS 500GB x 4, 2 Gig RAM, d-link GigE card) everything has been ok, I was using the d-link card GigE card rather than the onboatoard GiGE port as there were issues with the Gigabyte drivers and WHS.

I have WHS installed with all updates, Avast antibirus and Squeezecenter.

Reecently the server has stopped twice with no apparent reason, nothing in the event logs at the time of the crash.

The first time I rebooted the server manually and everything was ok, the second time (sunday morning) the server rebooted got and then rebooted and then rebooted.......

I attached a screeen a noted what happened, the server got the the login screen then rebooted after 20-30 seconds.

If I logged on, the server did not reboot.

I disabled the onboard GigE port in both the bios and the device manager and it rebooted normally.

Questions:-

1. Why has this just started?
    2. As there are no drivers for the onboard GigE port installed why did the server care?
    3. If it did care why suddenly start the rebooting now?

Any ideas?

Monday, February 25, 2008 12:57 PM

All replies

•  

First point of call for me would be to download Microsoft Memory Diagnostic and run a thorough test for at least 24 hours.
    Monday, February 25, 2008 1:12 PM
  • You're probably experiencing a bluescreen. While you have a monitor etc. connected, could you please log in to your server, then:
    • Right click My Computer.
    • Click on Properties.
    • Select the Advanced tab.
    • Click on Settings under Startup and Recovery.
    • If they aren't already set this way, uncheck Automatically restart under System failure, and check Write an event to the event log.
    • Click OK, then Apply.
    Then reboot your server and wait for it to crash. Let us know what the stop code etc. is.
    Monday, February 25, 2008 5:51 PM
  • All set...rebooted...now awaiting a crash...

If I have time I may renable the onboard GiGE port to see if that causes the crash again...
    Tuesday, February 26, 2008 5:00 PM