Image Filenames RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed that when I uploaded images embedded in a post to WordPress 2.7, that the image filenames got changed in the media library .

So for example, the image "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.jpg" is now "CatonaHotTinRoof.jpg". Under the previous version of WLW, the images would be uploaded with hyphens; e.g. "Cat-on-a-Hot-Tin-Roof.jpg". These are search engine friendly - especially after adding the title and alt-text to them in WordPress.

Are image filenames going to continue to be crunched in the final version of WLW? I'd prefer they get uploaded using the hyphens if at all possible. Thanks,

Greg
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 11:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Greg, thanks for the feedback. I don't remember changing anything in Writer that would cause this--is it possible it's WordPress that has changed how they deal with spaces?

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 11:50 PM
  • I'm using LiveWriter Ftp solution for images and my blog is hosted on wordpress From what I notice images that originaly are named Cat-on-a-Hot-Tin-Roof.jpg  are remamed CatonaHotTinRoof.jpgwhich is not nice for SEO :( 
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 12:18 PM
  • Greg, are you also using FTP?
    Friday, December 19, 2008 6:15 AM
  • Any updates on this subject folks? I'm still having this on all my blogs...  Using WP2.7 or Blogger...  It looks more like an issue with FTP handling by WLW...
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 12:51 PM
  • umoor, is this problem new for you with the latest version of Writer, or has it always happened? (or have you never used a previous version of Writer?)
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:29 AM
  • Joe - No, I use WLW to upload the entire post - text and images - to my WordPress blog. Then, when I check them in the Media Library I notice the filenames get crunched.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 5:49 AM
  • Joe - For me, this only happened when I updated to the new version of WLW.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 5:50 AM
  • Hi Joe,

I have this happening with the images since March 2008... So this doesn't seem to be linked to the new WLW. I'm suprised that no one brought this up before. Did you try it on your side?

Thx,

Umoor

Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:11 AM
  • I have the same issue with WLW and Wordpress!
    I tried to upload using other editors - filenames are ok, after uploading with WLW - all dashes removed.
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 12:44 PM
  • Anybody got around this problem ? I have noticed this problem recently, too bad for SEO. Someone has to fix this.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 4:12 PM