used to rank very well, now only 1 page indexed, Last crawled: 30/11/2007 - Blocked: No. RRS feed

• Question

• A website i have developed was ranking very well for cyprus property related keywords and suddenly the site stopped ranking in MSN. when cheking the site via webmaster tools i can see that it is no blocked but MSN only knows one page of this site and not even the index page. the website not only it does not rank but now MSN does not include even the index page of the website, it wont return the website even if you search for its domain namet

webmastger tools report that the website was crawled over a month ago

Last crawled: 30/11/2007 Blocked: No

The website is www.elysianfieldsproperties.com

can someone advice what is wrong with the website?

Thursday, January 17, 2008 2:19 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

This is pretty normal, the bot seems to only update the index every few months if you're an unfavored site.

There's really nothing you can do. 

We were last crawled around the same time although the bot has visited a thousand pages since.  24 hours ago we signed up for the webmaster tools and the bot instantly vanished again aside of pinging the auth file.  Same old same old.

Nice to see we have a bunch of great links to the site in the tools, but MSn doesnt seem to care.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:02 PM
  •  

There is definitely a pattern emerging here.

Where we once ranked extremely well, we are sinking without trace despite the fact that other major SEs give us excellent visibility including page1, above-the-fold ranking for a number of relevant long and short-tail keyword pairs.

One thing I have noticed, however, is that where previously we would have ranked highly, its place has been taken (quite noticeably) by portal sites, directory sites and such like. Most of them bear little relevance to the search terms or are simply MFA (made for AdSense) sites.

For us, Live (MSN) has become car-crash indexing - even our competitors are getting better ranking now despite their websites being markedly inferior. And the worst thing is I haven't got a clue what to do!

What the hell is going on?

Friday, January 18, 2008 11:49 AM
  •  

I think at first Jeremiah and the tools team thought it was simply a matter of new sites not getting ranked properly but it's becoming increasingly clear this is a pretty massive problem.  I've been typing in some keywords the last three weeks and watched over the last week as one of the largest players in our business vanished from the SERPs with absolutely no blackhat stuff on the site.  In their place is totally irrelevant garbage.  Out of 10 links on the first page, two point to the same site using mirrored pages (they change the url but it's the same product), the other 8 have no relevance to the search.

Something is really, really messed up and everyone is noticing.  Looking back at the market share Live is losing - it looks small when you figure it's only .5 to 1% per month, but when you only had 12% of the market share in 2006 and are down to 6 or 7 now, it's almost game over time.

Frankly I don't understand it, how can ask.com be almost equal to the largest software company in the worlds search? This is stock on every single shipment of a new PC and they're still losing market share?   How bad would it be if Google was the default search tool?

Whatever has happened to "us" is now effecting long standing, enormous websites.  The relevancy of the search terms just don't seem to be weighted properly.

I think this last change could be the end of live.com as a main player in the search engine game.  if what we are seeing here carries out across the web spectrum they'll be down to 5 or 6% and in 4th place soon.  Forgetting about our site problems, I can't remember the last time I found anything useful through live.com

Saturday, January 19, 2008 5:02 PM
  • When I look at your page, much of the problem could be related to back links that you have.  I see mostly directories; none with very good rank.   You are in the index and you need to take action to improve the quality of site that links to you.  Better to get links that aren't solely directories.

There are some examples of other types we are looking for in the following blog post.

http://blogs.msdn.com/webmaster/archive/2008/01/11/i-m-not-ranking-in-live-search-what-can-i-do.aspx

Jeremiah

Monday, January 21, 2008 6:37 AM
  • Microsoft Live Search is totally missing the point.  If what Jeremiah Andrick saying is true, i.e., most of the links are from directories get your site blocked or canned, then the best way to sabotage your rivals are to create huge amount of links pointing to them.  What a ***!.  Google's algorithms already took care of link bombing.  Yet, in this day and age, Live Search is still using link bombing to penalize sites, even when the "link bombing" is dubious or far from the truth.  You wonder why Microsoft is going down hill or Live Search never took off?  I am glad I sold my Microsoft stock long time ago.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 2:07 PM