CRM 2013 - Display Data From A SQL Database In CRM Form RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

This is something completely unknown to me, but I have software called FM that stores data to a SQL Server Database, I want to be able to simply display certain fields in the records in my CRM form

Any suggestions/examples on how this can be achieved

Thanks, Shaun

S.Harrison

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 9:43 AM

All replies

• You can create a webservice to fetch/expose the sql data, and after inside your crm form you call this webservice to pull the data and display it inside the form

My blog: www.crmanswers.net - Rockstar 365 Profile

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 10:22 AM
  • Hi Shaun,

You could also create a website for you fields and show them inside an Iframe on your CRM Form.

Regards,

Jithesh

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 2:02 PM
  • You may also synch data between your SQl tale and your CRM entity with Scribe or XMLSynchro so that you bring data to CRM.
    Tuesday, August 5, 2014 2:32 PM
  • Thanks all for your replies

Does anyone have any examples of how these work and an idea of which is best suited / least difficult?

Thanks, Shaun

S.Harrison

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 3:00 PM
  • So from my perspective, the two easiest are going to be the Scribe approach and the iFrame with a report or website approach.

1. With Scribe (or any sync tool you are familiar with), all you need to do is create all the fields you want to display from SQL in CRM on the CRM entity you're going to show them. For example, if the FM SQL database had a column called FAVORITE_GIFT, you would want to make a CRM attribute called Favorite Gift to store the data CRM will receive. Once you have all those, then you're going to want to set up the SQL ODBC connection in Scribe as the sending tool, and then a CRM Web Service connection as the receiving tool. This is your tricky point. You need to find a way to uniquely identify records so Scribe knows what data goes with which CRM record.  If you have a unique key that's already common to both systems (email address being a very common one for situations like this), then great.  If not, you're going to have to build some kind of mapping table that tells Scribe what row in the SQL database corresponds to what record in CRM.  But once you have that, then you can get the mapping moving.  Just tell Scribe how frequently you want CRM updated with SQL data (nightly, hourly, maybe every time a record in SQL is changed) and you're good to go.  Also, make sure the fields in CRM are read-only on the form, so a CRM user doesn't make a mistake and change data.

2. iFrame with data would be the other approach.  The advantage with an iFrame over Scribe is the data doesn't have to be in CRM if it doesn't belong there.  The disadvantage is it will load more slowly due to accessing external data.  With the iFrame, you can use a web page or a SSRS Report.  Fundamentally, you'll do the same thing.  Build your site or report with the data you want to pull (how to build is a little out of scope here, that's its own skillset), figure out what your unique key is between the CRM entity and the SQL row (just like in Scribe above) and then update the CRM form with an iFrame section and point the iFrame URL as the report or web page you created.  The complex part here is actually building the page or report, linking it to CRM should be relatively simple.

Hope that gives you a starting point!

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 3:17 PM