Server re-install, now cant log on RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had to do a server re-installation because of some software problems I was having. All went well with the re-installation, so I thought. But now i cannot access my server at all. If I RDP and try and log on I get this error "The system cannot log you on. Make sure your user name and domain are correct. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case". I use the same password for alot of things, so I know I am using the right password. The only (highly unlikely) thing I can think of is that I managed to mistype the password twice when i originally set it. I doubt it though, because I was able to log in a few times before I made the server headless, but i had to type the password a number of times before it would take it even then. Now I cannot access it at all, through the connecter software, RDP, or the network shares folders. 

Any suggestions? Other than do ANOTHER 3+ hour reinstall?
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 7:52 AM

Answers

• Hello,
    after reinstallation all user accounts are gone - you did not say, if you recreated them.
    For RDP the only valid account is the account Administrator, given the console password is set and used.

Besides a typo in password also other components can play a role - a bad network connection (cable, plugs, protocol mismatches), some broken component on WHS due to installation of software on top (SharePoint services i.e. seem to modify DCOM permissions, which may cause remote access to fail), firewall settings and so on. While such things can be discovered relatively easy on a device with monitor, it is difficult on headless devices.

You could attach the system drive to another PC with Windows XP and load the event logw into the event viewer by opening the .EVT files in folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\config on the system disk of the WHS. Maybe those can give you an idea, what went wrong.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 9:29 AM