how do I allow tcp connections instead of tls? RRS feed

• Question

•  

By default, when I installed ocs 2007, it seems as if though the only connections it accepts are tls connections.

I'd like to allow tcp connections, as I am under the impression that tcp connections removes the hussles of ssl certificates.

Is this something that can be easily changed?

Thanks.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 5:44 AM

Answers

• Yes - go to the properties of your front end and add TCP to the protocols list on the first tab (General).

FYI - You will still need a certificate for IIS (web components) and for the server in general if you plan on adding an Edge server since all communication between servers much be MTLS.  It's quite easy to overcome the "hassles" of SSL by puchasing a regular certificate from any public provider.  GoDaddy.com is probably the cheapest.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:43 PM

All replies

• Yes - go to the properties of your front end and add TCP to the protocols list on the first tab (General).

FYI - You will still need a certificate for IIS (web components) and for the server in general if you plan on adding an Edge server since all communication between servers much be MTLS.  It's quite easy to overcome the "hassles" of SSL by puchasing a regular certificate from any public provider.  GoDaddy.com is probably the cheapest.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:43 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you kindly for your suggestion and advise.

I have a small question that might seem ignorant, but I need to ask.

What is the difference between a certificate purchased from, say, godaddy.com, and one purchased from verisign?

The price difference is significant, but do they both do the same?

Thursday, September 25, 2008 9:34 PM