Zune Synchronization Problems RRS feed

• Question

• Recently got my WHS setup completed.  Backing up 3 PC (MCE2005, Vista Home Premium, XP Home) on a daily basis sucessfully.  Stored all my music, pics and videos in the shares successfully.  Shared folders appear and are accessible on all PCs.  Folder synchronization established successfully.  Am able to play the centrally stored music successfully using the Vista Media Player and Vista Media Center.  Am looking to install the WHS add-in to facilitate direct streaming of recorded TV from the MCE 2005 HTPC to WHS.

Problem: when I go to synch my Zune, it synchs about 25 songs and then all the rest (3,000+ songs) are marked as "Not Syched".  Further, at this point the WHS server has vanished from the network (from all PCs), and I have to restart my PC to bring the WHS server back into the network.  FYI - the 25 songs do actually appear on the Zune.  I have tried deleting all the content of the Zune and starting the process over 3 times with no luck.

WHS is a Core2Duo 1.8 Ghz w/ 2 GB of memory + 1.5 TB hard drives.  The WHS PC has a static IP address in the router.  Network is a wired CAT6 Gigabit LAN.

Any ideas?
    Friday, April 24, 2009 3:48 PM

Answers

• Probably you have an issue with network drivers or hardware (drivers seem more likely) on your server. You can try to find newer drivers to see if that will solve the issue. You can also try Windows Server 2003 drivers iinstead of XP drivers (though the Windows Server 2003 drivers are often identical to XP drivers) or generic drivers distributed with Windows Home Server. However, there's no guarantee that changing drivers will correct the issue, so as a practical matter, you may be better off keeping your Zune library local and syncing a copy of it to your server occasionally. For that, you can use a tool such as robocopy or synctoy.

Other potential causes would be a hardware issue elsewhere on your network (router, switch if any, wiring), a driver issue on the client PC, or a hardware issue on your client PC.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 24, 2009 4:13 PM